Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

large electric on floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

large electric on floats

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 07:07 AM
svond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default large electric on floats

Currently setting up an AXI 4120/14 in a .40 sized GP 182 on floats and am concerned about water spray's effect on the motor...Anyone have experience, good or bad?

Stan
Old 08-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: large electric on floats

I've flown electric off water many times. Never had a problem caused by spray. I think. l the heat they generate dries them out. When I dunk one I spray it down with motor cleaner and dry it with my Monocote heat gun set on low. No problems so far. My motors have all beeen Astros or Graupners so I can't speak specifically to Axi.
Walt
Old 08-27-2005, 02:33 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The motor should be the last place that spray accumulates, but if you buzz the throttle a few times after you take it out of the water it should be OK. Blasting it with a can of the stuff they make for dusting computer keyboards would not hurt, and re-lube the bearings if you dunk it. There is some really neat stuff called corrosion-X that protects electronics from corrosion in just this environment. Available in marine supply places, and at corrosionx.com.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:23 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Good catch Jim, I forgot about re-oiling the bearings. I've used the corrsion-x or something similar --- kinda messay, but works.
Walt
Old 09-05-2005, 08:29 AM
Lucam

I flew lots of bl outrunner seaplane and floatplanes, without any kind of trouble (in FRESH water!)
Ok, mine has little engine (Axi 2208 and Hacker a30)