Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

I recently purchased the Uravitch 53" OV-10 Bronco ARF and the assembly went well until the installa

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

I recently purchased the Uravitch 53" OV-10 Bronco ARF and the assembly went well until the installa

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 11:45 AM
chiefjcw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I recently purchased the Uravitch 53" OV-10 Bronco ARF and the assembly went well until the installa

I recently purchased the Uravitch 53" OV-10 Bronco ARF and the assembly went well until the installation of the horizontal stab. The left side of the leading edge is lower than the right side, or vice versa on the trailing edge, putting the stab into a noticeable twist. I just sent an email to Hobby Hangar requesting a fix or let me know the wing and stab incidence.

Has anyone run into the same problem or can you suggest a possible fix. Also, I plan on installing OS 32SX engines for power. I keep reading in the various forums that you need ground speed to get airborne. Any input on the engines would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
Old 08-01-2005, 01:27 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: I recently purchased the Uravitch 53" OV-10 Bronco ARF and the assembly went well until the installa

N3Cal lives about a quarter mile from Chesapeake Bay and flys the OV-10. He can give you a little more info on it . I'm following the threads on this too so thanks for the warning on the tail feathers. By the way, what are you doing about the fuel tanks. I have no room in the engine pods so I'm mounting one 18 ounce tank in the fuselage pod and run the lines out to a couple of Perry Pumps to a pair of Saito .40's. Works great on my Islander. Plans are pretty vague too, arn't they Gotta go , MM
Old 08-02-2005, 12:44 PM
chiefjcw

Default RE: I recently purchased the Uravitch 53" OV-10 Bronco ARF and the assembly went well until the installa

MM

Thanks for the reply.

I received an answer from Hangar Hobbies via email which I have posted below;

Sorry to hear of the misalignment problem you've experienced with your Bronco. We suspect the twist was introduced because the vertical fins were not glued to the booms at the same angle. The easiest remedy would be to cut through one of the locating dowels, rotate the horizontal stabilizer to eliminate the twist and re-secure at the new location with adhesive and mechanical fastener. Unless the twist is significant, elevator trim will be sufficient to accomodate the repositioning.
Should you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

Hobby Hangar
Product Support

You are very correct about the plans. Hopefully I can have the problem corrected by the end of the month as we have a warbird flyin at our club, PGRC, in September.

I will keep you posted on the repair.

For your info, I will be moving to Pocatello, Idaho in the late spring of 2006.

Jim
Old 08-14-2005, 07:19 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

N3Cal lives about a quarter mile from Chesapeake Bay and flys the OV-10. He can give you a little more info on it . I'm following the threads on this too so thanks for the warning on the tail feathers. By the way, what are you doing about the fuel tanks. I have no room in the engine pods so I'm mounting one 18 ounce tank in the fuselage pod and run the lines out to a couple of Perry Pumps to a pair of Saito .40's. Works great on my Islander. Plans are pretty vague too, arn't they Gotta go , MM
I had this bird, with two saito 30's, it was TERRIFIC. Great model. The perry pumps and central tank seems complicated to me, but if it works for you, hey, go for it...
The plane needs to be straight, do whatever it takes NOW to get it straight, even if you have to get replacement parts from Uravitch...frankly, it's not going to be the same plane if you have warps or whatever, mine came out dead straight, I'm sure Uravitch will replace anything that is a manufacturing defect, he's good people. If it's somehow your own error, track it down and fix it properly, permanently, now, and don't count on using trim to straighten out a warp of any kind, that's not a good way to deal with it.

IF you have excessive takeoff runs, chances are the nosegear is too short, I ended up using a larger wheel to get a more positive AOA for shorter takeoffs. Unless your model is especailly heavy, or underpowered(like 15s or somethign) it should NOT need a long takeoff run, it's just the nose is too low to rotate properly.
I really, really liked this model, and I sold it after 100+ trouble-free flights, without a scratch on it, and assume it is still flying.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:49 AM
MormonMike

Jim, your moving to Pocatello Idaho ? I'm sorry to hear that. I can't remember thr name of the local RC club, but if you dont keep busy during the miserable winters there, you'll go stark-raving mad. mm
Old 08-24-2005, 08:42 AM
chiefjcw

MM

I ordered the OV-10 plans from Model Airplane News to have a reference line to set up the stab. After careful measurements, twice, I set the stab at zero incidence. I found that the predrilled holes for the stab was about 1/8 inch off one side to the other. I am going to set up the plane with the original fuel tanks for now. May try some modifications after flying it to see how it performs. I am installing the engines, OS 32SX, now. must be careful on alignment. I read somewhere in one of the threads that the vertical alignment is not critical as long as both engines are set the same.??????

I am stocking up on kits for retirement to build on those long winter nights. Looking forward to getting out of the Washington, DC area!!!

Hopefully I will be able to post a couple of pics after the first flight.

Jim
Old 09-04-2005, 04:19 AM
Yellowflier

Where can I get this kit from ? I have a pair of Enya 19s looking for a home and have been thinking about some kind of war bird to put them in.

Can't help with your problem though, sorry not familiar with the plane/kit ( yet).

David
Old 09-04-2005, 04:07 PM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

You can order either the ARF or the kit from Hobby Hangar in Florida

www.hobbyhangar.com/ is the website, and the planes are under Kits or Scaletech ARF's.

Old 09-05-2005, 10:10 PM
rryman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this plane and as was mentioned, it is an excellent flyer. If you read the threads about using a lot of runway, they were probably my posts. I tried to give it the scale nose-down look, but it makes rotating very difficult if not impossible. I had to keep raising the nose until it is about level to get it to take off properly.
If you are putting in retracts, I recommend what someone else did on one of these threads-extend the wing by at least one bay. I checked the spars when I built mine, and they were long enough to go out TWO rib bays on each side, which is what I did. I was concerned about the additional weight of retracts and so little wing. It really is not that noticeble.
also, even with the retracts, I don't remember having trouble getting the tanks in the booms. Tight, yes, but they fit. I used HS-81MG servos for the rudders, and a 225MG for the elevator. That may be where I saved the room.
Also, if you are installing retracts, be sure to balance the bird with the gear up! Having said that, I had to add about 4-5 oz. of lead in the nose to get mine to balance initially. I put it under the little plastic nose cone. While I was attempting to get it to take off in less than 800' of runway, I started taking out small amounts of weight. I eventually removed all of it, and the plane flies great with no bad tendencies. On take off, when you retract the gear, you can see it pitch up slightly, and continue a straight climb. I am using O.S. .25FX for power. All in all, I think it is a great kit for the money. With that big canopy, you also need to get the optional cockpit kit. the pilot figures appear to be resin cast, and are heavy, but you will need the weight anyway, so I installed them as-is.
Randy