Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Twins Twins Twins

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 01:11 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twins Twins Twins

Oh Happy Times!!
This will be a regular forum for me now. What you hard core guys flyin? I got Twinstar (highly modified), wing mfg P-38 in the painting stage. Kits in the waiting are Duellist, TF DC-3, and a scatch build 4 engine cargo (sort of a boxy C-130 for a proof of concept plane).
Edwin
Old 10-30-2002, 02:20 PM
jschenck
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pictures

How did you modify your twinstar? I just bought one and am thinking about putting a pair of OS-30 four strokes on it. Also thinking about retracts.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:42 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Modified for strength. I have TT.36's on mine. Will go verticle on take off and flys very fast, way too cool. After flying it hard for a season I got some flutter damage on one aileron and while doing repairs discovered how close I was to total wing failure. Stress cracks on the sheeting center section, firewalls coming loose, wing covering was literally tearing off the structure as I flew. Mods are only on the wing at this time. I glassed the wing center section with 2 oz cloth top and bottom out to the nacels, replaced all the plastic with balsa block (which added an additional 2" of ws) on wing tips and nacels, extended the nacels back a little further, replaced the 1" aileron strips with 1 1/2" aileron strips, used dual ail. servos, covered the wing with solartex (hate mylar coverings), and added triangle stock to the firewalls. My last engine out was almost the end. The remainging engine was coughing and plane rolled inverted at 20' altitude so I throttled back and continued the roll to level out and let it mush into the tall grass. Busted the wing hold down bolt holes on the trailing edge and the leading edge tongue on the wing. That was the only damage. The original wing wouldnt have survived that. I'm looking at the engines right now to get them matched back up. Later I will recover the fuse and change the rudder/fin to an Extra style, needs more rudder. Havent had any problems with the push rods so they'll stay. Elevator size is fine also.
Edwin
Old 11-01-2002, 04:10 PM
CB1000C
My Feedback: (6)

Default Twinstar need more rudder

I have been flying a twinstar for one season so far. I've noticed that with a pair of OS 25 LA's on it that it likes to go striaght even with full rudder input. I have more than an inch throw both ways and have notice that the rudder will change the yaw but fails to actually initiate a turn. This plane would be toast if the ailerons ever failed during flight. Is this a common characteristic with twins?

Bret
Old 11-01-2002, 11:54 PM
jschenck

Default I'm in La Vista

Where do you fly CB1000? I'm currently flying at La Vista flying field and am putting together a twinstar. I'd love to see two twinstars in a formation flyby. That's be nice pix to post! :idea:

btw - I have a '99 ZRX1100
Old 11-02-2002, 03:02 PM
CB1000C

Default jschenck

I too fly out of La Vista field. I agree, formation flying with a pair of twins would be neat. I'm sure I've seen you out there this summer. Have you flown your twinstar yet?
Old 11-02-2002, 07:15 PM
jschenck

Default Just started flying again

I've been actively flying for about a month now. I started RC about 20 years ago then job/family/kids/house ....

I have not bought engines for the twinstar yet - perhaps I'll have it ready for the spring. I'll probably go with a pair of OS 30 four strokes. looking forward to the first flight

I'm currently flying a kwik-fly and an Eaglet. check out my members pictures. I'll look for your twinstar out there!
Old 11-02-2002, 07:50 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I have a Duelist, an F-82, a Westland Whirwind and a UC-78 all flying.
I have a Mosquito(ready for primer) , an A-26 (ready to fly), a Grumman skyrocket(parts cut out) and an F7F(ready for paint)
Old 11-03-2002, 06:48 AM
mucksmear

Been flying a Duellist too for several years now. Bit of a lull in the flying right now as the baby takes precedence.

-E
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	33497_4769.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	20978  
Old 11-04-2002, 03:27 AM
Frazzy
My Feedback: (1)

I've got a Bobcat twin, made currently by Texas Twins. It has 2 40 fp engines with 10-7 APC props on her. Wingspan is 72 inches and I never did weigh the plane, just flew it and is a very solid plane to fly. Always predictable and lands where you want it to.

Ron
Old 11-04-2002, 03:54 AM
Sawyer692-RCU

Default Re: jschenck

Originally posted by CB1000C
I too fly out of La Vista field. I agree, formation flying with a pair of twins would be neat. I'm sure I've seen you out there this summer. Have you flown your twinstar yet?

My roomate and I both have Twinstars. We practice formation flying all the time. Then the hobby shop owner breaks out his kit bashed P-38 Uproar and it all-out twin combat at 100 mph. I'll post some pics, it is VERY cool. Especially the sounds of three twins at full throttle.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:31 AM
flydaddy-RCU

Default Formation flying

I am always looking for someone to formation fly with, one day I ask a guy if he wanted to get together, He ask me if i knew what formation flying was, I gave my opinion and he replyed,

Formation Flying is Same Sky, Same Day