Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

No Greater Joy!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 12:15 PM
Ricmussman
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Greater Joy!

There is no greater joy than having your 10 year old son as your flying buddy. He has been flying just a couple of months and his progression has been astounding. This weekend he had his first flight in GS with my EF 87" Yak 54. He took off, flew some mild areobatics (Including an iverted flat spin) and landed all on his own. During the 4 minute flight I think my heart beat about 521 times. I was really proud of him. He really like the plane and said it was easier than his Sig Something Extra to fly. Needless to say It was joy to see him have so much fun.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53317.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	329444  
Old 09-26-2005, 12:46 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: No Greater Joy!

That'a awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Riverdancer
My Feedback: (5)

Hello Ricmussman,

I know what you mean, my son has been flying since he was 7 and he did his wings at 9.. He is almost 15 now and he just kicks my a&&, but I love every minute..

Take Care

Rverdancer
Old 09-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Kregg
My Feedback: (45)

Rick,
That is awesome! I'm breeding my boy to love airplanes and I hope he does the same as yours. Alex is only 5 so I think I should wait a few more years. I guess I really need to get that trainer dusted off and ready to fly again. My daughters say they want to fly, but they are not that serious about is so I have held off. You and your Son are a inspiration for me. It's good to see him enjoying the bull!
Kregg
Old 09-26-2005, 09:47 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I share your proud feelings. My son will be 11 in November and has flown "on the box" several times. He also loves the SIM. I have aquired several planes for him and just need to get him a little more motivated. He does love to build and can't wait to get started on a Midwest Aerosport .60 that I have NIB in the basement. Even if he only wants to build that's fine with me! Any time spent with family doing things is good. Wish more parents would share their interests with their kids and even their kids friends. Pretty cool when you can get your son's buddy up their too!
Old 09-26-2005, 09:55 PM
Aerotech

Hello,

I believe this post is the best Ive seen. As the commercial says that's priceless to have your son or daughter enjoying the moments with their dad. I hope when my daughter is older she takes an interest. She loves going in the full scale when I rent a 172.

Good Stuff

John

www.aerotech-rcmodels.com
Old 09-26-2005, 11:34 PM
3wExtra

Mine is 7, and he can not wait to crash! how can get him to learn! I would love him to lear but he never pay attention to waht i have to say. not even in the computer!
Old 09-27-2005, 06:04 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Ric,

All I can say is awesome! When I take a trainer to the field I always take the buddy box and have flown grandpas with grandsons and all other combo's. Nice to see their expressions. BTW, I am jeaolous of your runway/field.

Richard
Old 09-27-2005, 08:51 PM
aeroflyer

I know the feeling Ric, my oldest started when he was ten. Nows he s 18 and off at college. I miss him most on the weekends , but He is working on his future now.
Enjoy every minute to have together. We will fly when he comes home in a couple weeks, and oh yes he kicks my butt too when he flys his giant stinger lol.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:00 PM
snappinjim
My Feedback: (1)

I miss those days with the # one son. It was great until he discovered girls. Enjoy it while it last. Don't take him to the hobby shop with you. My son and I went and when we got home his mother asked how much did you spend? I told her. Not much I don't remember exactly. My son speaks up and says You know Dad it was $416.39 Yikes. We did have a long father to son talk. Its not lieing its just not telling.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:23 AM
flying skunks
My Feedback: (7)

My five year old son is my flying buddy.He has dusted off two trainers and is now flying Four Star's(40&60).I cant wait till he is ready to fly giant scale gas.
Donnie
Old 09-29-2005, 09:17 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

My son lacks the motivation. He loves to read the model mags has a Rascal 40 almost done, but just can't hang at the field for more then a hour or so. Wish other kids were around to give him more of a incentive to go.
Good luck with your son, models kept me out of alot of trouble growing up. Actually now that I think of it, it just postponed the trouble till college.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:20 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Yeah but will he be able to call the Unlimited sequence as well as his dad does??
Old 09-29-2005, 08:41 PM
1911fan
My Feedback: (1)

This IS a great thread. My Son is now 6 years old and we have been flying together since I soloed last August. We entered this hobby together and he attended every club meeting and learned right along side me as a 5 year old. He enjoys building, hanging out in the shop, going to the field, spending Dad's money at hobby shops (having a Son is a great excuse to tell the wife why you needed to buy that next plane)and anything regarding flying. He has logged about 200 hours on Aerofly Deluxe and reads all the plane mags we have lying around over and over. For a 6 year old he has the focus and attention span of someone 3 times his age. It is such a joy to goto the field and see the look on other peoples' faces when he identifies all the planes on the flight line by name. Three weeks ago we went to a R/C fly-in and he did the Noon time demo with his Greap Planes electric Yak-55. Now he has stepped up to my Funtana 90 on low rates with 50% expo and he has been doing everything but landing. I don't trust him that much although I am sure he could do it. I can honestly say that the days that he isn't able to go to the field with me I usually make up an excuse to myself not to go either. It is so much more fun with him there. The first pic below is him flying his GWS tigeroth solo and the others are of he and I on a buddy box and him painting a wooden biplane kit we built.

Name:	By76369.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	331286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85916.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	331287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10037.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	331288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31570.jpg
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	331289  
Old 09-30-2005, 07:27 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

This is a great family hobby. Don't get discouraged because your six year old wants to "crash". I've had my oldest, now 11, out with me since he was two or so, and the first move he wanted to try on my Goldberg Chipmunk, was, you guessed it, the crash. He got a trainer (kit by choice, not ARF) a year ago, but it was not until this summer that he really expressed an interest to try flying. I've taken him and his friends out flying many times this last summer, and now he's got about 25 take offs and is learning to land. His brother and sister, both six (yup, twins) both come out regularly, and often take the controls for a few minutes and do consecutive loops to see who can do more of them. Here's a pic of all of them with his LT-40, and one from a camping trip to a state park where there is a field. My oldest son had a buddy along and he got in some great flights, and hopefully will want to continue too. Making great family memories!
Sam

Name:	Rp44680.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	331495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80673.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	331496