Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

T-Rex belt life

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

T-Rex belt life

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 09:00 PM
bentgear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Rex belt life

Whats the average belt life. Mine maybe went 25 flights, just hovering. Snapped in half. Noticed the last few that there was some fuzz building on the tail rotor housing. Teeth on belt still look good. One edge slightly frayed. Could not find what caused fraying. Everything spins free, no binding. Very lucky, broke on spin up before it left the ground.

450 XL CCPM

Ed M.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:09 PM
inlinetwin

Default RE: T-Rex belt life

Sounds like you may have a bent tail. I've got at least 100 flights with no signs of wear on the belt.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:19 AM
bentgear

Nope Inlinetwin, but I did have to replace the tail boom because of a blade strike. Thanks for giveing me a number to shoot for. Can't find anything on the boom where belt may have been rubbing. Fixing to drag out a magnifying glass and have a look at both pullies to see if I can find a sharp or ruff edge.

Ed M.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:30 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Check to make sure the belt is tracking right. If its trying to ride off the pulleys, it might be rubbing the gearbox or something.
Tension is important too.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:19 PM
bentgear

Got the replacement belt today and on the package it says its an upgrade. Belt is more narrow than the original so it should be a better fit between the pully sides with less chance for rubbing. Maybe I can get it in place latter on today and get some practice in tomorrow. Will make sure I keep an eye out for fuzz buildup this time........

Ed M.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:22 PM
bdavison

I have a friend here that went through a belt or two. Ill ask him what the problem was and let you know. Perhaps he can shed some light on the subject.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:17 PM
billaltman
My Feedback: (7)

Yea, I was having some troubles with the belt coming off, but found out I had too much belt tension causing the belt to ride up and actually breaking the tail pulley top off. I swapped to the upgrade pulley from Wes @ Modefo's with set screws. Knock on wood haven't had any more problems. I've been setting the belt tension a little more on the loose side. I hold the main shaft and turn the tail rotor and I know I have it right when it slips a tooth. I'm using slight pressure to make it slip. Also take a small screwdriver about an inch behind the tail drive pulley using slight pressure the belt comes within a 1/16 inch touching the other side. This has worked for me. Great little chopper . Been upgrading slowly. And you really don't have to do any upgrading to it if you don't want to. Bill
Old 10-05-2005, 03:29 PM
bdavison

Hey bill,
Welcome back....are you flying tonight. Ill have my Blade there with the new carbon fiber blades. Time for some flying time. Tony is bringing me my new 9C super with the synth module.....sweeeeeeeeet. Gonna program it for the Blade. I still havent decided whether to get the Trex or the new MX450. Either way I know what gyro I am going to put in it.

I figured you might have more insight into this one.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:51 PM
billaltman
My Feedback: (7)

Man I wish I could be there, but I can't get in town til tommorrow. I hope to be there next week. Man , thats a great radio. Thats what i'm getting next. Don't know much about the MX450, but I bet it is the HDE, non ccpm version of the TREX , Also may not be the stretch version. Any way with the 9 super I would definately go with a ccpm setup. It has less slop and more precise. Also I would look into the e-flight servo's they are way cheaper price than the 56's. The 401 is the only way to go. I would also get a 35 amp esc. I have the 25 amp and it works fine but I will be upgrading the motor soon to a Nue or a Mega 16-15-3 and they need the 35. Have fun tonight . Let me know how it went. Bill
Old 10-05-2005, 04:34 PM
bdavison

I think the mx450 is supposed to be CCPM...the 400 is the older style if I remember correctly. Whatever I get I want it to be able to do what your Trex does. If it wont do that....phooey on it. Wish I could find some info on it. I wanna see what all its got on it.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:50 PM
thecheatscalc

I have a 36 which is almost a pure clone... so any ways the belt on mine hasnt showed any signs of wear yet. I've already bent/straightened a tail shaft (works great, no problems with it) and nothing yet. I think it's just overtightening. like rubbing a tight rubberband much easier to damage that way, also kills all gears, higher amps, and not good for the Rx, ESC, motor. you should be able to spin the main rotor with nearly no restance.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:29 PM
bentgear

The new belt fits the pulleys much better, not rubbing the sides. Two flights only so far, but NO FUZZ!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed M.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:15 AM
thecheatscalc

go ahead and put a bit of oil on the belt, it won't slip but it'll keep it flexible without craking if you live in hot or cold places.