Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

FUN SCALE MOSQUITO - MY FIRST TWIN

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

FUN SCALE MOSQUITO - MY FIRST TWIN

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 03:40 AM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default FUN SCALE MOSQUITO - MY FIRST TWIN

If anyone is interested - I thought I'd post a few pics of my first twin.
It's scratchbuilt, 76" span, and uses two OS 40 fourstrokes (old, non-surpass).
Model in the pics is about 12 years old, pics are from a few days ago, engines are 18+ years old. Not powerful, but work wonderful.
Built as an introduction for me to twin flying.
I've had an engine quit three times, but landed safely. Reason - the needle valve extension on one engine was working as a vibration amplifier and closing during flight. Once I finally identified the problem, it never happened again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93518.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	328843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41250.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	328844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99834.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	328845  
Old 09-25-2005, 04:50 AM
DVM100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FUN SCALE MOSQUITO - MY FIRST TWIN

Hey EF,

I'm currently building a CMPro 73" Mosquito and I am putting Magnum 52FS on board (kit recommends 32FS or 30 2C). I'm a warbird enthusiast so I'm keen to get any hints on twin flight. I've curently got a 63" Spitfire, a 65.5" Corsair that fly beautifully and I'm hoping my MOssie lives up to my flying skills. I'm also looking at building a 92" beaufighter as my long term project.

Dave
Old 09-25-2005, 08:27 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

EF congratulations on your entry to the world of 'Multis'. Very sharpe looking airplane and it sounds as you are doing fine on the flying end.

John
Old 09-25-2005, 09:12 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, if Wing Mfg, had a Mossi kit, that would be it. Looks good.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:54 AM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Dave

A few tips/hints from my experience with my Mossie:

The left engine has no side thrust, the right engine has 2 deg right thrust (it's per the plan)

Engine selection - use enough power to fly it nicely but not too much - if an engine quits on you, you had better have "enough" power to maintain altitude but no more. If you have more - you will get a violent snap/spin entry, with reduced chances of recovery. When I lost an engine, I could maintain altitude on 60-70% power of the remaining one, but the yaw was not at all violent even though the engines are not very close to the fuselage.

On takeoff, your best insurance is airspeed. Not altitude. Aispeed is "money in your pocket" while altitude is "money in the bank". There is not always time to get to the bank. So, a long takeoff roll, gentle liftoff and shallow climb. Once you are at altitude and after completing your turn away from the takeoff direction, you are OK.

I let both engines warm up on the ground about a minute before takeoff, and just before takeoff I run the engines to clear them and make sure there will be no sagging during the takeoff tun.

Landing - plan your approach well and try to avoid a go-around. A go-around is a chance for an engine to quit. I make a large circuit and a very long final approach. It not only looks great, it allows you to abort long before you are low, slow, and on low throttle.

I don't use a tacho. I don't think it's necessary. I tuned each engine alone "by ear" and richened the right engine a "click" or two. It behaves very straight. A "single" by the way is not so "symmetric" either, is it?

Good luck and let us know how you are progressing!
Old 09-29-2005, 09:48 PM
RottieBoy

Hi DVM 100. we have a CMP mosquito with Twin OS 52's flying out here in W. Malaysia. The power appeared quite adequate (esp given that with out 90% humidity and 110deg heat) the 52 will run more like a 45!! []. BUT the mosquito was really heavy and very very dragging. the flier a fairly experienced warbird RCs had quite a problem landing it as it had to be landed "hot".

Just my 2 cents

kind regard..
Old 10-11-2005, 06:34 AM
DVM100

Hey EF and Martin,
Thanks for your replies and I will certainly keep the flying tips in mind. My bird is about 85% built at this stage and I'm keen to know if I should put a gyro inher (maybe a Futaba GYA 350 or something similar?).

I've managed to obtain some 1/12th scale pilots from Canada and scale 90mm (3 1/2 inch) spinners from the UK and she is really looking the goods. I've resprayed her with Monokote fuel resistant paints and covered her with a flat clear Monokote lacquer to strengthen the surface (I thoiught it was a bit susceptible to damage in the hangar).

I'll upload some pics when I get the chance.

Dave
Old 10-11-2005, 08:44 PM
DVM100

here are some pics as promised

you may note the slightly changed paint scheme - I have sprayed it and covered it with a flat matt clear to protect an otherwise unacceptable (in my opinion) delicate surface which suffers hangar rash far too easily!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48100.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	337797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41612.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	337798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98878.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	41.0 KB