Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

G O O P made me a believer.

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

G O O P made me a believer.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 08:19 PM
RC-Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G O O P made me a believer.

Below are some pics of my OS .25 showing where I used GOOP glue to fix the needle assembly arm . I didn't think the stuff would hold but I can pick the engine up by the tip of the needle valve and it holds. When I say pick it up I mean rock the engine from a ling down position to the crank shaft being in an up right position.

So I just wanted to say thanks to the makers and people who have suggested using GOOP glue.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63118.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	335614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90546.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	335615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72755.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	335616  
Old 10-07-2005, 08:56 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: G O O P made me a believer.

Nice application. I like goop too.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:04 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Hmmm, interesting. What is this stuff, and where can I get it?

Thanks in advance

Ken
Old 10-08-2005, 01:19 AM
sfsjkid

Thanks for the info! I would like to hear how it does in the real world, ie vibration and heat
Old 10-08-2005, 04:26 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI Ken,

Goop is a rubberised kind of glue ( akin to silicone). Once cured it's pretty tough and flexible. There are several different types, regular goop, shoe goop, marine goop and probably some others. You can find it at alot of retailers, WallMart, Target, Kmart, Home Depot, Lowes, almost any hardware store and so on. I think JB Weld would have been a better choice for this type of repair though.

Darren
Old 10-08-2005, 10:41 AM
RC-Captain

Ken I bought my GOOP from an Ace Hardware store. On the tube package it comes in , it says it cures or bonds cement,china,fabric,glass,leather,marble,metal,plastic,PVC/ABS,rubber.tile,vinyl,wood, and more. When I saw this list I was hoping it would do the job and it did with flying colors.

To answer sfsjkid question about heat , it is rated for -40*F and 150*F. It partially cures within 2-10 minutes. I held the needle arm for about 5 minutes before I let it go and it didn't fall off as it did twice before I got it right. 24-72 hours is full cure time. I'm sold on it and will be using it often.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:15 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

RC-FIEND,
How does it hold up in flight? Does it hold up under the vibration of the engine? I've made repairs to an OS 46 that had the same damage with JB Weld. It fixed the problem, but it didn't last long after I started flying the plane. The vibration caused the joint to fail after just a few flights. So on the last 2 that I've broken I've just broken down and bought a new backplate [:@].

Ken
Old 10-08-2005, 11:45 AM
RC-Captain

the day I put the I put the engine back in the thunder tiger p51 and fly , I will give a report. Unfortunately it will be raining today and the next 5 days in NJ so I will not get a chance to fly until the next 2 weeks do to weather or work.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Epoxy and some other glues don't work well with fibre glass. Goop was made for it. Stands up to vibration very well because of its flexibility. From a long time user.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:37 PM
rrragmanliam

ORIGINAL: RCKen

RC-FIEND,
I've made repairs to an OS 46 that had the same damage with JB Weld. It fixed the problem, but it didn't last long after I started flying the plane. The vibration caused the joint to fail after just a few flights. So on the last 2 that I've broken I've just broken down and bought a new backplate [:@].

Ken
Welp that blows my guess about using JB weld all to HE double toothpicks. Perhaps flexable goop is the ticket for this repair.

Keep us posted RC-Fiend, if it works that will be good information to know.

Rrragamn
Old 10-09-2005, 09:12 AM
jetpack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope Goop is around for a LONG TIME. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-09-2005, 10:05 AM
fwman1
My Feedback: (22)

It probably will be around a while. I used the 'Shoe Goo' on my tennis shoes back in the mid to late seventies. We got little school support, and I dragged my toe on serves. I could Goo the end of a tennis ball cut to fit the shoe. It would stay on until it wore through the ball rubber. Tough stuff. As a poor college kid, it saved the day (date money I'd have spent on shoes ).

I use it a lot in modeling today, although I have never been able to tell much difference in the different 'types', automotive, plumber's, wood, etc.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:36 AM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

I had to make the same repair on my Evolution .61 last week. JB Weld didnt work, some kind of supposedly special metal epoxy I got at Lowes didnt work either. I finally just bought a package of nickel plated steel straps made by Dubro (2 bucks, I think), drilled out two of the holes to make them a tad bit larger, drilled a hole in the part of the needle arm that was broken, and bolted it back on. Now it's just as strong as it was to start with, is in the same place, and I wont have to worry about heat or vibration degrading an adhesive bond.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:20 AM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

almost as good as duck tape huh.i wonder if it will hold up to fuel?
Old 10-18-2005, 07:45 AM
fwman1
My Feedback: (22)

I don't know if it is glow proof, but gas will eventually break it down. There is a gas substitute you can buy at walmart. It is in a red and yellow tube and is sold in the automotive dept. It is not a goop product.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:15 AM
britbrat

Goop is highly resistant to glo fuel. I use it make SPAD's -- glue firewalls with it & repair torn coro -- it just ignores the fuel.