Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Transall C-160 engine question

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Transall C-160 engine question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 06:44 PM
larry11
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transall C-160 engine question

I just purchased one of these and was thinking about installing a pair of magnum 30 4 strokes in it. Has anyone had any experience running the magnum 30 4 strokes?

opinions wanted with these engines.
thanks,
larry
Old 10-17-2005, 07:26 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Default RE: Transall C-160 engine question

If you fly off of a hard surface you can probably get by with them. One of our regulars has one with twin Saito 30's and there have been days that it could not get in the air from our maincured grass strip. Do yourself a big favor and go bigger. 40 Saitos would be the smallest I would consider in 4-strokes. 30's do not have any extra power above what it takes to fly the plane. Two strokes would be a different story. I would go with 56's but the cowls are a pretty tight fit with the 30's.
FEB
Old 10-17-2005, 08:17 PM
larry11

ok, what is the preffered engine prop combo for this plane?

both 2 stroke and 4 stroke.
thanks,
larry
Old 10-17-2005, 10:32 PM
jmupilot

I have OS LA 25's in mine. it has more than enough power, and I fly it at half throttle when airborne. I am using APC 9-5's and they turn up pretty good. 4 stokes do have a lot less power than 2 strokes of similar size. I've never had a problem getting airborne, even in the summer and temps in the hi 90's. I fly from a grass strip also, but it does take a few hundred feet to get up. Just go full power and hold up elevator. The nose comes off the ground as airspeed increases and then it just flys off. Very scale looking take offs. Another member (rryman on RCU) has the same combo and his C160 flys fine too.

Pete
Old 10-18-2005, 06:19 AM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

i have thunder tiger pro .25's with master airscrew 9x5 props in mine.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:21 AM
larry11

thanks for the responses guys!
Old 10-20-2005, 12:08 AM
forestroke

i have not had good luck with the magnum 30's. i think the O.S. and Saitos are far better. while i don't want to make a general comment about the magnum 30 fourstrokes, my experience running them as compared to O.S. is that they just aren't made that well. they don't have the same horspower and they are just not reliable.

on the other hand, their Magnum 61 fourstroke had been rock solid with only one dead engine in maybe 50 flights before i sold it. that deadstick didn't happen to me but to my friend. he was trying to get my cessna skylane to execute big loops and somewhere near the top it just stopped turning over. still no idea what happened.

with a twin, i'd spend the extra dough and get an O.S. or Saito. one guy flies his with two O.S. FS30s and has no problems flying it. it isn't very fast but it's very scale.