Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Both my Coverite 21St Century Irons Failed

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Both my Coverite 21St Century Irons Failed

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 03:18 PM
3drc tim
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both my Coverite 21St Century Irons Failed

Does anyone know if there is a common circuit fix for these irons? I really like using the brand but both fail to heat. I called Hobby Services and they would replace them for $25 each plus plus shipping, etc. A new one probably costs around $37. I want to fix mine/repair the circuit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Tim
Old 10-17-2005, 09:52 PM
dicknadine

Default RE: Both my Coverite 21St Century Irons Failed

have you contacted Coverite for help? they are usually real good on responding. dick
Old 10-18-2005, 12:15 AM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

they have elements like an electric stove,you might be lucky and just have a bad electric cord.you can get them cheaper than 37,I'm not sure if it will be the same brand but that sucks they want almost the same amount to replace them.good luck
Old 10-18-2005, 12:16 AM
3drc tim
My Feedback: (6)

Dick,

Coverite was purchased from the family of Mr Kramer, the previous owner, by Hobbico some years ago, I have been told. I tried to track them down in Hosham, PA and was told they were long gone and sold. So, its Hobby Services or buy new units, which I probably will have to do. I was just hoping that others might have had these units fail and figured out how to fix them. This particular iron design is the best I have ever used.

Thanks, Tim
Old 10-20-2005, 12:48 PM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

I've had two fail also. It always was the nichrome wire though. Ive got the electronics from them if you want to try them. Hobby services was of no help to me either.
Z
Old 10-20-2005, 04:57 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Sometimes the nichrome wire, that is generally wrapped around cardboard and foil, simply breaks. I have twisted them back together before. And it worked.

Those are pretty hot irons. I forget the temps the different manufactures require, but I always have to turn down the 21st Century iron. The Top Flite iron works fine wide open