Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How to apply trim over monokote

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How to apply trim over monokote

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 03:10 AM
mikedpt40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to apply trim over monokote

Hey Guys,
Im done my monokoting and am now doing the trim. I am putting monokote over monokote but am getting a lot of airbubbles, anyone know the best way to apply the trim without getting so many air bubbles,

Thanks,
Mike D
Old 11-07-2002, 04:03 PM
spuck5644

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trim

Mike,
You'll probably get a gazillion responses/opinions on this.
My experience has been that either the "windex" method, i.e. apply a SMALL amount of windiex to the surface and lay your trim, squeegy out all the bubbles and windex, let dry overnite and then seal down with the minimum temp that will activate the glue and NOT shrink the covering. OR Working slowly from the widest part toward the narrowest part apply the trim, again at the lowest heat setting that activates the glue, (Ultracote activates at abt 175 degrees and I would believe Mono to be close to that).
After application, use a new #11 to ***** any remaining bubbles and iron down.

I have never had any luck using the trim solvents.

My .02 worth

Steve
AMA#4939

Puckett Model Aviation
Old 11-07-2002, 05:22 PM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had some success using the method described above, but I modify it slightly. Instead of heat sealing the trim the next day, I drizzle acetone around the edges of the trim. This seeps under the trim and activates the adhesive. Give it a test try and see how you like it.

Vince
Old 11-07-2002, 05:44 PM
pinball-RCU

Default Re: Trim

I have never had any luck using the trim solvents.
As you said, there are a lot of different opinions in this area.

I LOVE trim solvent. First step, clean the surface really well. You'd be surprised how big a bump a tiny speck of dirt can make. Then, position the trim piece on the plane. You're going to hold down one side while gluing the other, so if it's a small piece, use your fingers, but for a bigger piece, fix it in place with masking tape. Now, lift up the half you're going to glue first. Using a Q-tip, lightly wet the plane where the trim will stick. If you're using Monokote brand solvent, you don't need much, and you can let it dry a bit, it'll still stick. Now, starting at the middle, slowly let the trim piece down on the plane, wiping it back and forth with your finger as you move along. Don't let any touch except the part you're wiping back and forth. Lift the other side, and repeat. The reason you do half at a time is it keeps the trim piece in the right spot.

I also use the Windex method, which works fine. I choose the method depending on the position and shape of the piece, and whether the plane has a solid backing where the trim goes (I think trim solvent is easier when there's no backing, say on a wing panel between ribs). I use an old credit card to smooth down the trim piece and remove bubbles. The advantage of the Windex method is you get a lot of time to get it right. With trim solvent, you get one chance, that's it. I prefer to iron down the edges rather than use trim solvent, because some of the darker colors (Insignia Blue is the worst) bleed, and it can be very frustrating trying to clean since it tends to just bleed more.

Make sure you have a good fan blowing nice fresh air on you while you do this!
Old 11-09-2002, 02:33 AM
mikedpt40

thanks guys you guys helped me out a lot, i appreciate it