Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

zdz 80 canister break in

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 04:37 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zdz 80 canister break in

hi guy's just got a zdz 80 want to break it in on the stand hooking up the canister is that going to ok.

thanks for any replys
Old 11-10-2002, 01:10 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

You can break it in on a stand if you like, but most people just fly 'em. I take it easy on the throttle for the first 5 gallons. After that, let 'er rip. The only thing that is happening during break-in is the ring is seating to the cylinder. Rolling element bearings don't break in - they're good to go from the factory. The pipe will get pretty hot sitting on the ground without airflow, so I'd just fly it.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:33 AM
DENNIS C

diablo when you say take it easy on the throttle do you mean not to go past 1/2 or 3/4 or just give it burst every so often. don't you want to run them on the stand for a little? . this is my first gasser need help.

thanks dennis
Old 11-10-2002, 01:57 PM
Diablo-RCU

Running on the stand doesn't help the engine any, it only helps you familiarize yourself with how the engine operates and let's you check and adjust the needles easily. For the ZDZ, if you mount the engine inverted in your plane, make sure to drill a hole in the cowl on top so you can adjust the needles easily with the cowl on. Airflow is different with the cowl off and on, so the correct way to adjust the carb is with the cowl on - just like it will operate when flying. Which exhaust system do you plan to use? You may have to adjust the header length unless it's the JMB cans from RCS - those just get installed at full length. Pick any 26x10 prop that you like - I prefer the Menz-S or Mejzlik. The Mejzlik will make the plane faster, the Menz accelerates quicker for 3D hovering.

As for how much throttle to use during break-in, it's not all that critical, but no extended use of full throttle (hovering and long verticals). Big loops and cuban 8s are good maneuvers for break-in - let's the engine load and unload - heat cycling.
Old 11-10-2002, 02:17 PM
DENNIS C

good morning diablo planed on using the can from rcs was going to use the bambula prop think that's how you spell it. might be changing that know.
do you know a good source for the prop's. this motor is going in a h-9 330l 33%.

thanks dennis
Old 11-10-2002, 02:25 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Originally posted by bodymann
good morning diablo planed on using the can from rcs was going to use the bambula prop think that's how you spell it. might be changing that know.
do you know a good source for the prop's. this motor is going in a h-9 330l 33%.

thanks dennis
Good combo, quite a few guys here flying this combo.

I haven't use the Bambula props so no comments, but you can use Menz 26*10 with no problem, If you need standoffs for your installation, don't hesitate.
http://www.geocities.com/roger_forgues/engstandoff.html
Old 11-10-2002, 02:32 PM
Diablo-RCU

I haven't used the Bambula props either, but Dick Hanson likes them, and I respect his thoughts on anything about R/C, especially engines, props and exhaust tuning. You get Bambula through RCS, Menz are available from Desert Aircraft and Aircraft International and Cactus Aviation.

Menz-S look a likes used to be made by Roger Forgues - Hey Roger, you still producing them?
Old 11-10-2002, 02:42 PM
DENNIS C

aerografixs seen the site nice what 330 is that you have the zdz 80 on thanks for the help guy's

p.s. do you guy's have any suggestions on how to set this plane up can't find much on it even in a search.

thanks dennis
Old 11-10-2002, 03:06 PM
DENNIS C

hi guy's what is the difference between the menz std and ultra props
thanks dennis
Old 11-10-2002, 03:34 PM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by Diablo
I haven't used the Bambula props either, but Dick Hanson likes them, and I respect his thoughts on anything about R/C, especially engines, props and exhaust tuning. You get Bambula through RCS, Menz are available from Desert Aircraft and Aircraft International and Cactus Aviation.

Menz-S look a likes used to be made by Roger Forgues - Hey Roger, you still producing them?
Do you know why my props look so much like the Menz props, it s because I use the Menz to duplicate them. I don't design props. At least not yet.

I made this rather expensive propeller duplicator last year when no one could find the Menz. But by the time I started producing them, a lot of other companies came out with the look alike also.
So since they are so labor intensive for the money involved, I put them on the back burner. Besides, I am pretty busy making the standoffs and the Fiber Optic extensions. Remember this is a one man operation.

But I only fly with the "Forgues" propellers
Old 11-10-2002, 03:36 PM
Forgues Research

aerografixs seen the site nice what 330 is that you have the zdz 80 on thanks for the help guy's

p.s. do you guy's have any suggestions on how to set this plane up can't find much on it even in a search.

thanks dennis
Dennis,
This is the Great Plaines Extra 330L with the ZDZ 80 boxer.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:37 PM
Forgues Research

hi guy's what is the difference between the menz std and ultra props
thanks dennis
The Menz Standard is a wide blade and the Ultra is narrow blade.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:06 PM
DENNIS C

hi aerografixs what prop performns better wide or narrow deponds on what you want it to do ?
Old 11-10-2002, 04:49 PM
Forgues Research

hi aerografixs what prop performns better wide or narrow deponds on what you want it to do ?
My experiences are quite limited, but for me flying only the IMAC sequences and not 3D, I initially used a Menz Ultra 26*10 and since went to my Forgues 26*10 which I allready stated is a copy of the Menz standard.
I find on my setup, the standard prop performs better and is much quieter then the Ultra, the reason being that it turns slower then the Ultra.