Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Field Fueling Systems for Gas

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Field Fueling Systems for Gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:42 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Field Fueling Systems for Gas

I have read through several threads about the field fueling options for gas and I am having trouble deciding what would work best for me. My preference would be a 1¼ gallon jug with a manual pump. I would probably use a 2½ gallon jug to mix and fill the smaller field jug.

I’m not looking for another project, no matter how simple, so do it yourself ideas are out. I have looked at the offerings from Hahn’s Hanger at Abell RC, and the Jersey Modeller.

The pump on the Hahn’s jug gives me some concern. Can you pump the fuel out of your plane with it? If so, how? The 1¼ Jersey jug is close to what I am looking for, but from the pictures I have seen it looks like the pump is mounted so low that the handle would hit the ground when turned. Hauling around something to sit the jug on would defeat the benefit of having a small, light jug.

I could go with the 2½ gallon jug, but it is bigger than needed.

I have not had the best of luck with the crank pumps like used on the Jersey jugs. On my glow jugs they average lasting only one season. Opinions on which works best, or any other options would be appreciated.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:12 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Field Fueling Systems for Gas

I have a 1.25 gallon jug from Slimline that is exactly what you describe. The pump mounts to a bracket and can easily be used when attached. The pump is a Hanger 9 Ultra (gas and glow) and is going strong after three seasons... I used it yesterday after a long period of it sitting idle and it's fine -- pumps well and no leaks.

I would post a link to the jug on Slimline's website, but for some reason I cannot reach it...
Old 11-27-2005, 01:35 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

a walmart pump or a pump used to check/fill up the tool to check blood pressure can be obtained at a medical store this is a 10 or less set up that works to pressure the can and then let that pressure fill up your fuel tank not for smoke oil but gas is the ticket.

The tank parts have to be picked up at a local hobby store its the one used for glow fuel cans. let me know if i can be of any more assistance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48976.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	360965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24872.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	360966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94409.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	360967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14908.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	360968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89849.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	360969  
Old 11-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same Hahn's system as you. It is an MPI pump, and they last VERY well. I have three, have collectively pumped at least 50 gallons of various fuels, and the pump DOES go either way, gas or glow, in or out.

What I did to get the pump off the ground was make a ply plate, Shoe Goo it to the underside of the handle, couple tie wraps to secure it. WORKS GREAT!!!

Like you, I didn't want anymore "projects", and didn't like the velcro-pump holding deal.... judge the pic attached for yourself. I think it's an easy fix, and sure solved the issue for me.

Name:	Tr49051.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	360999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31561.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	361000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90936.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	361001  
Old 11-27-2005, 02:44 PM
depfife

I don't think Hahn's uses the crank style manual pump any more. Here is a link to what they offer now.

http://www.abellrc.com/ABELLRCHOME.htm

This style pump is supposed to be more durable than the crank type, but I don't see how it will draw/pump the fuel out of the plane without swapping some hoses around.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:50 PM
depfife

Slimlines website seems to be down.

Does Slimline make a cap that fits a gas jug, or are you putting your gas in a glow jug?

ORIGINAL: GalenB

I have a 1.25 gallon jug from Slimline that is exactly what you describe. The pump mounts to a bracket and can easily be used when attached. The pump is a Hanger 9 Ultra (gas and glow) and is going strong after three seasons... I used it yesterday after a long period of it sitting idle and it's fine -- pumps well and no leaks.

I would post a link to the jug on Slimline's website, but for some reason I cannot reach it...
Old 11-27-2005, 03:05 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I have the Jersey Modeler can and the pump is not hard mounted..There is a key ring mounted to the can..the actual pump has a hook like on a dog chain. You can either unhook the pump and hold it in your hand or you can leave it hooked to the can and hold it to fill/drain..there is enough slack in the line to use it while attached so you dont have to unhook it..I love mine..I just mix 2 gallons at a time..no leaks..no smell..no mess
Old 11-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Wow. Mine ARRIVED on Tuesday of last week. Quite a surprise....
Oh, well.... the MPI pump is still a good one, and I've had lots of time with mine.
The "Jersey Modeler" setup is what I have. Don't know if it's the same as Hahn's or a copy.... who knows?

Here's the Jersey Modeler website, with a pic on the main page of what I just bought.... and am using.
http://www.jerseymodeler.com/
Old 11-27-2005, 03:49 PM
GalenB

The Slimline pump comes with a red 1.25 gallon plastic gas can...
Old 11-27-2005, 09:55 PM
GalenB

Here are some pictures of my Slimline jug... I pretty much only use this small jug for break in mixes...

Name:	Qo40014.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	361303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56631.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	361304  
Old 11-27-2005, 10:03 PM
GalenB

I know you don't want to make a fuel jug. However, I thought I'd show you the one I made for less than $20.00 and 30 minutes of my time... I got a 2 gallon jug, 2 bulk head fittings, a plug for the cap, some tygon, a pump, a key ring and a snap...

The pump is held to the can with a snap for storage and easily comes undone for fueling and defueling... I use this jug for my standard 100:1 Amsoil mix. I mix in a 6 gallon jug and decant into this 2 gallon jug for transport...

Name:	Bz77344.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	361305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36557.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	361306  
Old 11-27-2005, 11:45 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

The 1.25 Jersey Modeler fueler comes with the pump loose but has velcro on it so you can stick it to the tank when you are done filling. It's a great setup for a 50cc gasser. The only thing is that MPI pump that came with it would not pump until it was primed. Dean at JM said that 1/100 will do this. He sent me another and I had it in two days. Works fine. I really like it, don't mind the money spent.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:07 AM
GoeKeli

Depife,
your gonna love the world of gas. I used 2.5 gallon with hand crank pump and VW auto fuel filter for my 50cc flying. It fills a 16oz tank quick. I made sure that the can could seal tightly and then set it inside a 5 gallons paint bucket with lid so no fumes could get out. Super easy and cheap. When I started burning 10+ 40 oz tanks a day then I got into electric pumps this year. That is another story. !~)

JOe
Old 11-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

For a long time I used gravity. Slow but it never failed on me.
Now I use a hand pump (Hanger 9) that has had to be repaired twice. (lube and tighten)
I also have a solution that someone posted listed on my website.
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/articles/fuel_can/
Old 11-30-2005, 03:47 PM
depfife

http://www.slimlineproducts.com/online_shop/m1_gas.htm

I think I will go with the Slimline set up. I like the fact that the pump is hard mounted to the jug instead of hanging from a ring or velcroed to to the side. I wish the Slimline had two big caps so it would not be necessary to remove the cap with the fittings when refilling, but it is a minor inconvenience.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:16 PM
GoeKeli

You will love it!~)

jOe