Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Moki 2.1 setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 08:52 PM
rdrc MadDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moki 2.1 setup

Am considering a Dave Patrick Extra and powering w/ a Moki 2.1. I do not have any prior experience w/ Mokis or any other 2 stroke this size. Is there a unique setup from what I might have done with my OS .46, for example? I have seen mention of a special backplate for the Moki and something about an ignition switch with a separate power supply. Can anyone walk me thru (with detail) how this unit should be set up? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:41 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moki 2.1 setup

The Moki 2.1 comes standard as a beam mount (like your .46) but you can buy a special backplate that allows you to bolt it to your firewall (like your motor mount on the .46).

No biggie, works either way.

If you are talking about on-board ignition, there are many on the market. I use the JHM model with great results. Full instructions on installation come with it.

http://www.jhmaeroengineering.com/

Don
Old 11-12-2002, 11:59 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Moki 2.1 setup

If you haven't bought the Moki yet....don't do it.
For that size plane a lightweight gasser makes a whole lot more sense than ANY of the big glow motors like the Moki. They cost about the same or slightly more than the Moki, but won't cost you $10-15 in fuel every time you go flying. And they won't slime your plane with oil.

I'm sure there are plenty of flyers out there that have good experiences with their Moki, but once the plane starts to exceed about 1200 sq-in of wing (or about 13 lbs), a light gas engine is a better choice for performance, economy, reliability, and longevity.

Once you've gone gas....you'll never go back.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:02 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Moki 2.1 setup

Essentially the Moki set-up is identical to the smaller glow counter-parts. You can run a regulator system on it for a bit better reliability sometimes. That's usually used where tank placement is several inches away from the engine. Which in an aerobatic plane is likely, this is place tank on the CG.

The Mokis are fuel hungry, and will use about 2oz's a minute, so there's going to be some cost there. I use straight methanol in my 1.80, and mix my oil(BlendZall) and it costs about $6 a gallon give or take, depending on where I get my methanol. I did use FAI fuel at about $14 a gallon, and someone in my club shared this info with me, and I tried it, and it runs excellent, and clean.

You really don't need an on-board glow at all. It's extra weight, and the Mokis are very reliable. Mine will hand-start(back-flipping) with no prob, using a chicken stick. I just get it very wet, and give a firm back flip, and she'll usually fire after 4or5 flips. Ignitions do not exist on these, being of the glow variety(unless your talking about a different engine), so to kill it, it's same as smaller glows, just close throttle throat, and it dies...that simple.

Really not alot of difference then smaller engines though, once you get over the intimidation factor, that is if you have any intimidations. I did, and just took my time with it, and didn't let ANYONE hurry me. Run it in your time frame, get to know it, and the Moki is a very nice(one of the nicest glow) engine. There are a few back-plate mounts available, and several beam mounts that will do the job nicely. I've ran mine in a Goldberg Sukhoi and am now installing it in a H9 Edge(this is a 1.80). So they are very well suited for aerobatics.

Gas is like they all said though...very cool too, I also own a BME50, so kind of have the best of both worlds. Although to get a gas engine the upfront fees will run around $600-650 including muffler/ign battery, compared to the Moki at a bit over $300-350 including muff. Mokis are good engines though...the best in thier class. You might look here in the swap-shop and see what there is for sale too, sometimes you can find them for a bit less, same for gas, but not as common as the Moki I don't think. Good luck,,,what ever engine you choose your in for a treat with that plane though.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:24 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Default Moki's

DGrant,
Nicely done summary
Old 04-03-2003, 06:34 PM
gemini-RCU

Default Gasser

I have tried gas and glow and have found my Moki's to be excellent.As far as performance my Moki's run so much smoother than my gassers.Vibration is so great on one of my planes I had to put on flying wires on to keep the tail feathers from vibrating off.I balance all props.As to fuel I fly my Moki's on no nitro it still is not as cheap as gas but after spending $1200 and hours of work 12.00 for fuel is not all that bad.I also get more power for less weight with glow.Gas does have the advantage of less oil on the plane but I don't mind.