Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

flew my first twin this Sunday

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

flew my first twin this Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 03:06 AM
tool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flew my first twin this Sunday

and I love it! I'm so used to the unlimited airplanes....the quarter scale Extra 300s and Ultimates with Saito 1.80s and unlimited power..going to a twin was a real interesting change!

I thrive on the challenge. That's what made it so fun.

Anyway, I flew a Duellist....built in 1986 by a late modeller...it was his last airplane, and he did a fantastic job. I flew it 3 times on Sunday and once on Monday. The last flight on Sunday the port engine flamed out because the fuel line got pinched (8 ounce tank stuffed in a small nacelle). I was high and I tried to give it power, but that made it go into a creepy death spiral so I just pulled back the other engine and did a down wind landing.

Sunday I flew once, and the bolts on the starbard engine mount vibrated out (they were there for 17 years) so I landed it with one engine. I am now going to go over the airplane with a fine-tooth comb and replace or check ever nut, bolt, screw, etc...

The only thing I hate about the Duellist is the room I have to work with in the nacelles. I'd like to put two Saito 56's in it with independent servos, but the space just seems to be lacking.

Anyway, I'm hooked on twins. Even though they're two-strokes, they sound real cool when they're in sinc. I can't imagine how well two 4-strokes would sound.

I'm not a good builder, I assemble ARFs most of the time, but someday I will have to build a Duellist or P-38.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:22 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Who was the late modeler??

The guy who built the first Duellist I ever saw died recently..he built his last one before 1985, but you never know. I think his stuff got Ebayed..
Old 11-13-2002, 03:36 AM
tool

Damn, that sucks.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:43 AM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Default Twins

If you are into arf's life is good for you. Check Morris Hobbies site about the up coming P-38 arf.....Warning. A P-38 is a big step from the dualist.
If you are into 3d.. and want to do it on a twin....Ok, but too complicated for quick explaination.
Go to rcwarbirds.com and the twins forum and learn how to hover and mix engines into rudder.......you cannot believe a controlled flat spin with controlled differential thrust on a twin......neither will your buddies!! To get out of this type of flat spin...simple, reverse the rudder and it stops instantly due to reversing the engines power.......try that with a single!!!
Good Luck,
Twinman
PS....Twins make you crazy!!!!!
Old 11-13-2002, 04:40 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hold out for the new Kondor P38, it will be a lot nicer than the Morris one, for sure.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:53 PM
tool

Awesome!! P-38 ARF!!! I can't friggin wait!!
Old 11-13-2002, 01:28 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Default ARF P-38

EASYTIGER

What is the Kondor P-38? You are holding our critical information to our mental health!!!!!! Not fair!!!!!

Twinman
Old 11-13-2002, 01:44 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Check out the ARF forum, more info there!
Old 11-13-2002, 04:19 PM
f2racer

Originally posted by EASYTIGER
Hold out for the new Kondor P38, it will be a lot nicer than the Morris one, for sure.
I'd hold out until both are out on the market before making any assumptions. Sounds like Kondor is being made by the same guys of giantscaleplanes.com fame. They don't exactly have a great reputation for quality models... The one that Morris will be distributing is from VQ Models. Morris has insisted that VQ implement lots of changes in this line including higher quality wood, better covering, and thicker plastic. I have a VQ Zero ARF which is definitely better quality than some of the "no name" Chinese ARFs I've seen at the field. The VQ Lightning ARF should be in-stock at Morris within the next month or so. I'm guessing that the Kondor will come a tad later. Who will be the first to buy first and do a comparison?
Old 11-14-2002, 06:05 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I'm VERY skeptical, but I guess we will see. How about YOU order up the VQ one from morris first!