Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

How much can a giant aero take??

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

How much can a giant aero take??

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 03:47 AM
HOTRODJOHN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much can a giant aero take??

Ive been flying 40 and 60 size aerobatic planes for a couple of years and have never broken a wing or had a plane break after doing some high speed snaps, spins, etc, my question with these 30 - 40 percent planes is this, can these foam wings take a full deflection snap at full throttle and full speed or a full throttle downline spin without breaking the wing, can they take a full throttle loop as tight as you can make it, just curious....
Old 11-13-2002, 03:54 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default I'd say yes..

Went to the TOC this year (3rd one) and I'd have to say a 40% plane will take all you can dish out..if it is built correctly.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:36 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

Default How much can a giant aero take??

Well you have to realize that the bigger the model plane is, the more it behaves like it's full scale cousin.

We have the edge on full scales in that we can produce a large model at very low weights, while still having a very strong aerodynamic airframe.

Sure models can do MUCH more than full scales can, but at increased wear and tear and fatigue.

I am reminded of this year at the TOC when the Italian competitor (can't remember his name my apologies) tore the rudder and some of the stabilizer off his Extra after doing a full throttle, down-line snap roll. Also a few years ago, a pilot preformed a blender to watch most of the covering on the fuselage rip off.

Personally I never just yank an airplane around, to me it looks amateurish, unscalelike, and not as fun to watch. But to each his own I guess