Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Stingray Questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Stingray Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 03:48 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Stingray Questions

Hi guys,

I have done a lot of searches about throws and CGs (I appreciate all of that)

One thing I noticed is that a couple of you referred to needing some reflex (which I take to mean up trim) on the elevons. So far so good.

My question is about the throws. If you say the elevator throw is +/- 1.125", is that measured from the fixed part of the wing, or is it measured from the new reflexed (or "neutral") position of the elevon?

Also, are most of you running your tanks in series instead of parallel? I was suprised to see in series (another thread coming on that)

Thanks in advnace,

Old 12-09-2005, 09:20 PM
turbine guy
My Feedback: (266)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stingray Questions

Hi Matt,
My Stingray ran about 1/8" reflex(up elevon trim).
As I recall I set my throws per the manual and it was fine-not very critical and there was plenty of elevon authority for landing.

I run my tanks in parallel-being a delta the plane is roll sensitive.I did not want the possibility of aileron trim to change during flight.

Only problem with the parallel setup and smallish tanks is that when one tank starts sucking air (from being low )you can fill your UAT with air quickly,and the Stingray doesn't have much room for a BVM UAT back where it would need to be for CG purposes.
Keep your lines equal length and run a complete tank through the motor to see that it feeds evenly.
I made a 2oz hopper from a Dubro (or Sullivan) tank with pleated paper car fuel filter. I think Steve Elzey had this on Georgia Jets website?
This tank sits on top of the 70 OZ."Yellow "plastic main tanks -fits perfectly under the speedbrake and you fill up through the speedbrake opening.

This setup gave 7 minute flights with my P-60 with enough for a go around.

Jake
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42664.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	367549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25878.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	367550  
Old 12-09-2005, 10:15 PM
mort78
My Feedback: (1)

WOW Turbine Guy,
I love the colour scheme on your Jet. [sm=thumbup.gif] Isn't it hard to get the correct orientation in flight though, or is the belly a different colour?
Regards,
Mort
Old 12-09-2005, 11:56 PM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Jake,

Nice plane . I have one that needs to be finished . Why do you speak about in the past tense ?[]

Marc
Old 12-10-2005, 01:11 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: 747drvr

Hi Jake,

Nice plane . I have one that needs to be finished . Why do you speak about in the past tense ?[]

Marc

I think it was recently posted for sale on RCU here. My guess is he sold it
Old 12-10-2005, 01:39 AM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run my tanks in series and I've noticed no trim changes from fuel load in flight. The tanks are sitting right along the for-aft CG after all... If you use large diameter hose, the excess drag on the fuel system is minimal. I use the Jet Tech Kevlar's... I run them in series to reduce the likely hood of feeding any air to the UAT. Most flights I land with !/4 to 1/3rd of a tank, and virtually no air in the UAT.

What I have noticed in terms of flight performance... My stingray tends to roll out of trim one way or the other, and I can see ~3/32 of hysteresis in the aileron throws. I think that's the smoking gun, finally... I have Hitec 5625's on the elevons, vs. 5945's on my Hotspot. The Hotspot tracks DEAD straight and the Stingray wanders... I did change the HS 5625's deadband to 1 from the default of 2, and I'll give it one last shot on those servos. After that they're getting replaced with (way overboard on the torque) 5945's. If that's no different, I'll be buying my first ever set of JR's!

For travel, I quoted my travels from the offset position in previous threads.

Good to see you finally finished it Matt!
Kelly
Old 12-10-2005, 02:15 AM
turbine guy
My Feedback: (266)

Thanks mort78,
The bottom has florescent orange fore/aft stripe and roundels on the wings.The paint is a color shifting paint -goes from dark blue to gold to bronze.And Jeremy is correct-I sold that Stingray to a local turbine guy in training.(gotta fund a Firebird[X(])

Jake
Old 12-10-2005, 07:04 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can find the pleated paper clunk article on the JPO's web site [link=http://www.jetpilots.org/how_to_build_a_turbine_pleated_p.htm]HERE![/link]
Old 12-10-2005, 08:05 AM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks Jake,

I'm glad to hear that it has a happier ending than I was thinking . Good luck with the Firebird !

Marc
Old 12-10-2005, 06:37 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the tips, Jake. I like that hopper set up.

Unfortunately, my plane was designed for a P-70, so I moved a lot of weight forward. I have a P-60 on it now, so I wish I had moved more weight aft!

Thanks again,

Old 12-10-2005, 07:16 PM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just to add my two pennys worth, i had and do still have a lot of problems getting my CG rear enough. I have 4mm of up elevator(reflex) and have 25mm up travel on the elevator. I find in turns i need almost half ele deflection to stay level. Ailerons are 13mm i believe and more than sensitive enough at that.

I run mine in series with a UAT, which certainly doesnt help my CG situation.

Ive only had 13 flights on mine, so im by no means experienced with the stingray.