Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Tuning up a G62

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 05:30 AM
F1
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning up a G62

My G62 has a strange idle problem, In preflight i set the idle to a slow idle(about to die idle) i get it in the air and it runs like a top, smoothe, transitions to full throttle well and never misses a beat. but when i idle back down to land after about 6-7mins of flying time, it has a real high idle and i have to trim it back on the radio to keep the plane from coming in to fast. It kinda reminds me of a glow engine that is running too lean. Im running a 21x10 BME prop on a 84" Katana(14-16lbs). The engine has been broke in and im running a 32:1 mixture. any thoughts?
Old 01-07-2006, 08:23 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Default RE: Tuning up a G62

Sounds like it is getting too hot. When the airspeed drops off the cooling drops off too. Tight cowls can have a huge effect on cooling. Have you tried a test-flight with the cowl off?

Safe Flying!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

sounds like an air leak under the carb..Check both gaskets....the block has the pulse passage really close to the main opening....
Old 01-08-2006, 05:44 AM
F1
My Feedback: (15)

Thanks guys, I was kinda thinking vacum leak in the back of my mind. As far as the cowl, well the head extends outside of the cowl and it does have a large enough hole for the air to exit thru the bottom, although, a vacum leak behind the carb could cause it to run lean leading to too much heat. I took the carb off and the gasket does look a bit suspecious, so i replaced both gaskets. Will try it out today. what is a good or idea rpm range for idle? also at full throttle it turns the 21x10 7000rpm on the ground, should it turn more or less , or is that ok? Thanks
Old 01-08-2006, 08:40 AM
off2fly
My Feedback: (11)

Man you can'y buy a more reliable single banger,If you don't find a vac leak on gsk's &seals check to see if the spring is still on the butterfly/throttle .the g62 vibs so much w/o the spring it wears out the butterfly in carb and sucks to much air at idle.You can get another for about $2.00
Old 01-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Different problem, he wants it to keep running, the spring missing from the throttle shaft wears out the disc and keeps it from shutting off with the throttle...Chck the needle setting, a low needle way too rich combined with a high needle too lean will act like that...