Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fishing line for control cables?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Fishing line for control cables?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 10:19 PM
OrangeCrush03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fishing line for control cables?

I've searched and can't seem to find an answer. Can anyone tell me what type of line is used for the control lines? Is that fishing line? Any brand, specific weight?? Or is it a special line?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 01-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Fishing line for control cables?

Hi Mark:
The stuff I use is called Spider Wire fishing line. It's a plastic coated wire that works very well. For binding, put the wire through the horn and servo arm, twist the wire back on itself, touch it with a match just long enough to melt the plastic coating to itself. The stuff i have is 12 lb test but it's way overkill. 6 lb. would be fine. Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Bevo

I've always bought the Dubro or the E-flite wire for control cables and it works great.

Bevo
Old 01-10-2006, 09:26 PM
OrangeCrush03

Thanks guys. I didn't know there was actual wire for the control cables (E-flite, etc) I was going to check out the spider wire but I'm confused. Flypaper mentioned he was using 14lb. fishing line. I guess I'm confused because today I checked out some 20lb fishing line and it was WAY thinner than the cable than what was on the plane. I don't get it...

Does that mean I need some 50lb. line to keep the same diameter line?

Flypaper,

Is your fishing line the same size as the factory line?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 01-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark:
There are two different popular control systems. One is called pull, pull. wire is attached to a rudder horn on either side of the rudder and a servo arm coming off either side of the servo. you can where it gets its name from as the servo pulls the wires on either side of the rudder. The other is called a pushrod and is a solid wire from .020 to 1/16 dia. and is on one side of the servo and control surface and is a push, pull system. Kevlar thread is also sold for pull, pull so 6 lb. test fishline is more than strong enough.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:05 PM
OrangeCrush03

Fly,

Thank you so much. I checked out different fishing line today and though it may not make any difference, I did have one problem. Even at 20lb test line, the diameter of the line is nowhere near as thick as the line that comes from Hobby Zone.

I guess as long as it's strong enough, it doesn't make much difference???

Thanks everyone for your time,

Mark