Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

40% Staudacher MAiden

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 09:51 PM
staudman
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40% Staudacher MAiden

My dad and I build...and when we build we build Staudachers!!!
30%,35% and now 40%...the latest and greatest!!
The day for the maiden dawned late in the MIchigan fall...I jumped out of bed(slowly and with grace) and called my dad...
Hey POps!!!
I'm loaded up!!!
Lets burn some gas!!
We arrived at the field and assembled the newest version of our favorite!
Power is a 3W140 turning a Biela 28-12 3 blade with a Bisson "glass spinner dressing up the front.
Servos used are Hitech 5925s and 5955s.
One 5925 on each elev half,two on ea aileron surface and two 5995s on the ruddeer.
We have flown the 35% sized Staudachers for the past 3 seasons in IMAC in the NC Region so we expected the maiden to be smooth and with no suprises.
Evidently someone neglected to tell Mr. Murphy to get lost ....or they sent him an invitation!!
We started up the engine and did a range test with engine at high speed,WOT, and at idle and midspeed.
Satisfied with that we then did a taxi up and down the runway to evaluate the ground handling...
So far so SWEEET!!!
I admit to being a bit nervous but it was time to advance the throttle and get busy!!!
THe coals were applied and the aircraft took off straight and true with great feedback from the control inputs and then WHAAAMM!!!
Remember Mr Murphy??
The right aileron did a two step and cha-cha that scared the pooh out of me...I retarded the throttle in a New York secone and maiantained control ,made the left hand turn needed to make it back tio the clubs immaculately paved and maintained runway and she settled in as smooth as a smacked babys but...Kinda like my first time....the most intense 15 seconds of the day for sure!!!
We did a thurough check on the ground and found some issues but...well the bottom line is we are swapping out the 5925 servos to 5955 ...That takes us from 250oz/in to nearly 700oz/in...
But the weather moved in to stay this past fall in Mi. so we need to wat till the weather turns in 06 to finish the story...
But when we return we will have maidens on a 30% Aviation Models Yak,and the 35% veraion also!!
Mike S
Old 01-13-2006, 11:11 PM
SHOWTIME
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: 40% Staudacher MAiden

I am glad you got her down in one piece.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:09 AM
TeamFutaba02
My Feedback: (1)

All that and no Pics!!!!!!!!!!!

J/K. Congrats! Now lets see it!
Old 01-15-2006, 10:39 AM
badbradgraphics
My Feedback: (630)

I blinked over and over but I still didn't see any pics!!!!!!!!!