Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Top Gun on Television

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 12:46 AM
FTiano
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gun on Television

Hi all,
I have just learned that the 2002 Top Gun that was held in Lakeland last April, is being featured as a one hour special this Tuesday, November 26, at 9pm on the Do It Yourself Network. (That's the DIY Network) available on most cable and satellite systems. It should rerun on the following Sunday. Thought it might be interesting to see how non hobbiests view our sport.
Frank
Old 11-25-2002, 07:33 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

According to DIY's website, the 9:00 hour is TBA for tomorrow. But it's Radio Control program is on tomorrow at 8:30 and the subject is Giant Scale.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:33 PM
CÅÞ²³²

Default top gun on tv

Hey will anyone be taping this.??? my vcr is crap I'd buy a copy from someone if they would make me one.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:43 PM
jjmiller1

It's not on their schedule page, but here's what they do have at their site.

http://www.diynet.com/DIY/show/0,1329,TOP-S,FF.html
Old 11-26-2002, 08:27 PM
xp8103

RC Top Gun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIY 133 Nov 27 12:00am Add to My Calendar
Limited Series/Home/Garden, 60 Mins.
[no description available]

Original Airdate: November 26, 2002.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Future Airings:
RC Top Gun, DIY Nov 30 06:00pm
RC Top Gun, DIY Dec 03 09:00pm
RC Top Gun, DIY Dec 04 12:00am
Old 11-26-2002, 10:06 PM
rightflyer

Thanks for the info, Frank. I have always felt Discovery Wings could showcase RC and get a decent audience. Scalemasters, Top Gun, TOC, and others would probably interest aviation-minded folks. Maybe attract some into the hobby. Heck, Wings now reruns the same programs over and over. RC would give them more material to air.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:22 PM
xp8103

Anyone else watch it? I watched the episode before it as well on giant scale. I realize it's only a half and hour show but geez....
On the Top Gun show.... I liked it! I liked it for different reasons than I like the Propwash vids. Chris does a good job and has a good rapport with the pilots. He discussed a lot of different topics that gave folks a good overview of the event and what it takes to get there.
A couple of complaints tho. They used the same footage of the same 6 or 10 planes over and over again (the Super Bandit doing a 4-point acrorss the runway comes to mind) when there were so many other planes there that could have been filmed. And while they are certainly spectacular, he focused too much on the jets. With the exception of the tripe, Nick Sr's Stearman and Bill Steffes' T-6, it was mostly jets. Chris made a big deal about "pit road" but then we get to see essentially none of it.
All in all a good show. It would be great if he does the same thing for the NATS and TOC and other events like that.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:03 PM
jjmiller1

While scale is cool, I wish he would have paid a little more attention to aerobatics. I think I caught a sub-second glimpse of a Sukhoi and maybe 1 Edge, but I might have dreamt the edge.