Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

zdz choke question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 01:23 AM
iwannafly
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zdz choke question

Been working on installing a zdz 40 (Walbro carb) and having a problem setting up the choke. I did all the throttle and choke arm removal and no problem running the throttle to a servo with a modified steering (nosegear) arm. Well this choke is going to be a problem. I want to hook up something on the choke stub so I can run a control outside the engine cowl. I can't use the supplied items since they won't give me the rotary motion I need. I can't seem to hit on a good idea to hook onto that little stub with a wire or cable. I hesitate to run a servo and make it more complicated than it has to be. Anybody found a good solution. I'm trying to hit on something that can be easily removed as this engine will no doubt be used in other projects.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:45 AM
Lew

On my ZDZ80, I use a Hitec mini to operate the choke. Serves 2 purposes - 1) Easy way to choke for starting and 2) Good way to emergency shut down the engine in case of throttle problems. I had a throttle arm come off on a Q50 and if ran for 45 mins at just above idle. Not fun at all with no way to shut it down. Good thing I had plenty of battery life.

Just my 2 cents
Lew
Old 11-26-2002, 02:04 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Here's how my Bing looks on my ZDZ 40. I thought about it for a couple of evenings and what I came up with was the result of several false starts. I have a hole in the top of the cowl with a grommet in it. The "tool" is a piece of 5/32 l.g. wire with a little knurled knob. The wire has a step ground in it to match the choke arm on the carb. The wheel collar is locktited. I can fit my tool thru the grommet and engage the choke.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	37665_172.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	23588  
Old 11-26-2002, 02:49 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Another idea, close to that..Drill and tap a 2-56 hole in the choke shaft, and Loctite a 2-56 machine screw into the hole..Use an allen wrench for the "tool"....I used it on the high and low speed needles........
Old 11-28-2002, 03:17 PM
iwannafly
My Feedback: (1)

Good ideas! I went ahead and tapped the shaft, adapted an arm with linkage. Thanks a bunch.