Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

pair of RCV 58 engines?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

pair of RCV 58 engines?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 07:58 PM
av8r4aa
My Feedback: (82)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pair of RCV 58 engines?

I was wondering if any body has tried these new engines on a twin. I want a DC-3 and do not want to be the first one to try it.
Thanks Greg
Old 12-05-2002, 10:59 PM
DIPSY

From what I've heard from my local dealer, RCV engines don't provide anywhere near the power claimed by manufacturers. He won't even stock them !! I was going to put one in my Hurricane.
Old 12-07-2002, 06:49 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DC-3 power?

From what I've seen you don't need much power for the Top Flite or Kyosho DC-3 but the T.F. is heaver than the Kyosho. I have the Kyosho and have ordered 2 of these engines. #1, I wanted 4 stroke sound and #2, these engines are very compact and you don't have to carve up your cowls to get them to fit.
The Kyosho DC-3 that John Beach built in Model Sport Video Magazine was powered by two "K&B-28 2 strokes" and flew much faster than scale. I was planning on using 2 OS-52 4 strokes untill I saw the compact RCV-58 engines.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:52 AM
Fishstyx
My Feedback: (15)

I'm building the Top flite DC-3 also and have looked at the RCV engines. We have a couple of flyers at my club who use them. The difficulty seems to be the size of the prop. Since the RCV engines are 2 to 1 geared, they need to turn a larger prop. You don't have much room for a big prop on the DC-3 due to the proximiy of the fuselage. However, I think the RCV 58s are not geared down, so maybe they will work.

I would love to hear from anyone who has tried them in a twin. Unfortunately, due to their high cost, it's a experiment that I can't afford.

Jason
Old 03-11-2003, 04:16 PM
RCV Engines

Hi
I am sorry I am a bit late in replying, but better late than never.

Anyway, I thought it would be useful to note a couple of points
1 - the RCV58CD engine is completely different to the SP series engines. They do use the same technology but they are crank driven and do not have a reduction gear. The result of this is that they are much more conventional to use - they use a standard engine bearer ; conventional (eg 11x6) props. Also they are competively priced as they are cast not machined from solid.
2) With regard to power, firstly bearing in mind the 58CD is a new engine, I can only assume that the shop owner is talking about the axial range (eg. SP). Anyway the quoted power is what you get. We have never sold them as supercharged engines but they are certainly equivalent to conventional 4-strokes of the same capacity. We often find that when shop owners are not stocking a product, they do not try too ready to sell the products virtues!!
3) There are a number of modellers who are in the process of using 58CD's in multi engine applications, however at the moment we don't have any feedback. There is some feedback from 58CD customers in general in the gallery section of the rcv website www.rcvengines.com

I hope this is of interest

Laurenne
RCV Engines