Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Ryobi weedeater motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 09:38 PM
Golden Glitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ryobi weedeater motor

Would it be worth the time to tear apart
a new Ryobi weekeaterand make it into a aircraft engine?

If so who sells the conversion kits and
instructions?

TIA

Frank Ward
Atlanta, GA
Old 11-28-2002, 03:06 AM
fatflyer41

Default Ryobi Weedwhacker

If you choose the right airplane, the Ryobi 31cc is worth converting, IMHO. I bought a new 2-ring short shaft weedwhacker from Lowe's ($68). I bought my conversion kit (prop hub, prop shaft, carb spacer & motor mount) from Paragon Aero (paragonaero.com). Their stuff looks great & fits perfectly! This gave me an engine that was 7-inches long from firewall to rear face of prop. Jag Engines (jagengines.com) makes a nice conversion kit but it is 7-1/2" long. I did buy the muffler from Jag (very nice, lightweight aluminum). I got new cast rings from Frank Bowman ([email protected]). The engine starts easily with a standard size electric starter and turns a 16x8 MA Classic @ 7800 rpm. It turns an 18x8 MA Classic @ 7400 rpm. Engine weighs 4 pounds, less prop. I have about two hours run time.

This engine will go in my 1/4 scale Flybaby. Search for other posts using "ryobi" and you will see some recommended aircraft. This is not a high horsepower engine (around 2 to 2-1/2 I think) and is best for "floater" type aircraft, not 3D and all-out aerobatics.

I hope this info helps.
Old 11-28-2002, 03:09 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There has been a world of things discussed on rcuniverse about this engine in the last year. I realize that you are relatively new on this forum but if you could look at the top of the page and click on search? Then enter ryobi in the top left hand box. You will be served with more info than you care to read about the Ryobi.

There's also a web site you will eventually come accross that discusses it in some detail. www.rcfaq.com I think. Anyway you will find it listed in your search.

Also there are companies that specialize in Ryobi conversions. You will have to search on Google to find some of them. But here are a couple:

www.carrprecision.com

www.jagengines.com

enjoy,

Jim
Old 11-28-2002, 04:19 AM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try the Homelite 33cc out of their 14" chainsaw. I got mine at Home Depot for $109. It's a great running engine, easy to start, has good compression, and already has the bigger carb on it. The prop shaft that Carrprecision sells for the Ryobi fits right on it. You have to make some sort of radial mount that attaches with the crankcase bolts. I made mine out of aircraft ply. This engine starts much easier than the Ryobi and has lots of power.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	37971_5716.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	23746  
Old 11-28-2002, 11:59 AM
Golden Glitch

Default Ryobi onversion

Thank you for your informative answers.
I'll try the search. My aircraft plans involve
a PC-6 Pllatus so I might have just the
engine I need.

Frank Ward
Atlanta, GA

P.S. I've been married to Glow for thirty years,
and have been slowly considering a mistress.
This would be my first attempt at something
different and a little sexier.