Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

seagull Dual Ace twin

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 07:46 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seagull Dual Ace twin

Long time, no talk. Any of you guys see this one yet ? I picked one up at the local shop, not too shabby, for $ 185 bucks. Matter of fact, it's quite nice, well built. Without having to go to the engine forum, would any of you guys give me your advice/opinions on Magnum four strokes. I'm looking at putting in a pair of .52's in it. Maybe I'm getting cheap but does one really need to spend $200 + for a Saito ? if any of you can vouch for Magnums ? Please respond. MM
Old 02-20-2006, 08:46 AM
ehfleming
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: seagull Dual Ace twin

IMO, Magnums are good engines for the price. I have more experience with the 91 and 120, but I'm guessing the 52 is in the same quality band. I would suggest you do two things for your engines. Always run 15% nitro castor/synthetic blend fuel. I've noticed those who run all synthetic in these engines wear out the bearings far too soon. The castor blend just seems to lube these engines better. Also, 15% nitro is the minimum it must have to run well from idle, through mid-range to top end. But using higher nitro fuels seems to be a waste of money. I didn't see any increase in performance or reliablilty for those who used 20 or 30% nitro fuels (different story for Saito's). Second, always run it a little rich (good advice for any engine). Don't try to get that last 5% of power by leaning it. A couple of my flying buddies sent their engines back to Magnum after one scored the piston and the other ruined the bearings (both running all synthetic). Magnum replaced both, no questions asked. I think that's darn good customer service.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:40 AM
MormonMike

OK, I'll buy that. A friend is trying to lean me towards the OS Surpass .52, what do you think of them ? Thanks, MM
Old 02-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have flown both the 2-stroke Magnum .52XLS and the 4-stroke Magnum .52RFS on twins.

The .52RFS 4-strokes are presently on a scale Burnelli CBY-3 twin. Both have run flawlessly. I have never had one quit in flight. A buddy and I (he builds and I fly except for ARFs) had the 2 in single engine planes. The first twin was a Grumman Widgeon which I managed to dunk in the water. They later went on a pusher-puller, original design twin of his. The bearings eventually went out so they were sent to Global Services for repair. They never did fail in flight, but you could hear the bearings thrashing. Global replaced all the bearings and one ring. No charge. They are running happily on the CBY-3. We couldn't ask for better running or more reliable 4-strokes.

I started off buying Saito 4-strokes and have a .56, .72 and a couple of .91s. We discovered Magnum 4-strokes and how good they were and that's all we have bought in the last couple of years. We now have 2 .30s, 2 .52s, .61, .70, .80, .91 and a 1.20. We are sold on Mag 4-strokes. Given how well our Magnum 4-strokes run, I have not considered OS 4-strokes.

The 2-strokes have been sort of off and on. We have 3 of the .52XLSs and 2 are great and the 3rd is a dud. I could not get reliable runs over the long run on a twin. Bear in mind, I do not want to adjust a needle after setting it after break-in. I want to pump fuel and fly. I find that OS 2-strokes run great for twins without any adjustment. They tend to be set and forget. I have 3 OS 2-stroke powered twins (2 with .46AX and 1 with .25FX) and could not ask for better running. I have tried both the Mag .52 (a very powerful engine) and Magnum .28s in twins and ended up pulling them. They do run fine by themselves, but don't seem to be reliable in a multi-engine model.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:55 PM
KidEpoxy

I ran a Magum 52 in a SkyraiderII (.40sized)... flew fine but not a verticle stunt job by any means.

Dependable starting, ran fine on PowerMaster 15% 18synthblend.... untill That Cursed Day
Had a streetflying waive-off by the spotters and took it on the propnut into the parkinglot blacktop.

New crank, bearings, some head gaskets to spare... all dirt cheap and fast delivery from online order. WAY cheaper than OS parts. I liked the engine, but loved the service and economy of repair.... well, except the stealth surounding the cam assembly timing dot, but that's another story
Old 02-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to mention, I run everything on 10% Omega castor blend.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:20 PM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

Long time, no talk. Any of you guys see this one yet ? I picked one up at the local shop, not too shabby, for $ 185 bucks. Matter of fact, it's quite nice, well built. Without having to go to the engine forum, would any of you guys give me your advice/opinions on Magnum four strokes. I'm looking at putting in a pair of .52's in it. Maybe I'm getting cheap but does one really need to spend $200 + for a Saito ? if any of you can vouch for Magnums ? Please respond. MM

I'd try it. I just bought a second Magnum .52 four-stroke for the purpose of building a SPAD DPS twin. I just broke it in yesterday and I was completely impressed with it. It ran like it was already broken in. I ran three 10-oz tanks of 10% nitro, 20% all-castor fuel through it (I bought it for breaking in a couple of Magnum four-strokes -- it's what Magnum recommends) and I am now positively confident in its ability to haul a model around the sky.

My first Magnum .52 four-stroke took a bit more break-in time to run reliably, but is now dead solid reliable. My new Magnum 1.20 four-stroke is a winner, too. I think they're the best value in four-stroke engines. The customer service is definitely top-notch, too; none better.

Good flying,
desmobob

Old 02-22-2006, 08:40 AM
MormonMike

Bill, as usual, I pick the most boring and un-interesting planes/topics to start a discussion on ie. , Electric Duelist, Islander, Duel Ace etc. Any chance you can delete this post please. MM[&o]