Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Kangke Laser--Did You Glue the Tail On?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Kangke Laser--Did You Glue the Tail On?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Kangke Laser--Did You Glue the Tail On?

I'm working on the Kangke Laser 2000 now. I've had one before (R.I.P.)--but it's been a number of years since I assembled that one.

I can't remember if I glued the tail completely together or not. [:-] Gettin' old, got CRS bad.

For those of you who have this plane:
The rudder glues to that little piece of balsa wood--the fin blocks on the side. It has those 2 alignment dowels at the front, and they stab into the back of the turtledeck. The rudder post has two metal alignment pins on the bottom where it stabs into the fuse.

The book doesn't say anything about gluing the the vertical fin too the stab.

I don't plan on taking my tail off. Not necessary for transportation, and too much work with the servos in the fuse and the flying wires attached.

I don't see why you couldn't stip some of the covering off the top of the stab and then glue the whole rudder assembly to the top of the stab. Seams like it would make it strong as all-get-out.

If I ever do want to take my tail off--just unscrew the bolts in the stab and pull it all off. It'll still come apart if I glue the rudder to the stab. The pieces just won't be as small.

What did you guys do? Can you see a reason why I SHOULDN'T glue the fin to the stab? If so, please tell me before I make a mistake on this one.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kangke Laser--Did You Glue the Tail On?

Rcpilet: You are right on line with the way I built mine. I removed the covering, and Epoxied the horizontal stab, vertical stab, and rudder together. I also used the wire supports for the vertical stab because I needed them for weight. I only have the Brison, 2.4 in mine and it was a little nose heave even then. You're gonna like the way this plane flys. I really think it looks more like a "Stevens Acrobat," than a Laser. This Kangke is really put together the way all arf's should be.
Heres a heads up for you........ Kangke will be releasing a new Bipe for the 50cc size engine. I won't say what it is but if you like Bipes, your really going to be happy. Good luck with you Laser. Hope it flys as well as mine.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: Bob Laine

Rcpilet: You are right on line with the way I built mine. I removed the covering, and Epoxied the horizontal stab, vertical stab, and rudder together. I also used the wire supports for the vertical stab because I needed them for weight. I only have the Brison, 2.4 in mine and it was a little nose heave even then. You're gonna like the way this plane flys. I really think it looks more like a "Stevens Acrobat," than a Laser. This Kangke is really put together the way all arf's should be.
Heres a heads up for you........ Kangke will be releasing a new Bipe for the 50cc size engine. I won't say what it is but if you like Bipes, your really going to be happy. Good luck with you Laser. Hope it flys as well as mine.
Thanks Bob

I put one of these together about 4yrs ago. Cracked it up about 3 or 4 months ago. I had a new one sittin' on the front steps about 2 weeks later. I liked it that much. Too bad, I'm just getting around to putting it together.[]

I just couldn't remember if I glued everything together or not. I mean, shoot, that was 4yrs ago. I can't remember what I ate for breakfast today--let alone if I glued the tail on an ARF 4yrs ago. [sm=bananahead.gif]

I'll be using a G-62 on C&H ignition with a Slimline Pitts muffler. Should be a nice combo.

The first one had a ZDZ60, and it was a pretty darn good airplane. I didn't care for the motor, and I tore it to kibbles and bits when I crashed the plane. Threw the plane AND the motor in the trash after that little "dumb thumb" incident.

Thanks for confirmation on that Bob.

I'm going to cut away the covering on top of the stab and glue the fin to the top of it.

I changed out the stab attachment screws for 4-40 bolts and blind nuts. Had to cut a little 1/2" square piece of ply for the blind nuts to fit up inside. Then I just glued the pieces on the bottom of the attachment plywood. Looks good. Functional. I'll trust a bolt over a screw, any day.

Off to the basement...................................
Old 03-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Rcpilot

I just got my fill of bipes over the last couple months.

I put the GP 1/3 Pitts together. Finally maidened it today. Smooth flying.

I also have the 40 size World Models Ultimate.

Thats enough for me.[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 03-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Bob Laine

Please don't pass this on..... It'a going to be av 88" super stearmani. ARf with Dummy 5 cyl radial end. Gotta love it.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:08 PM
serge1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is glued. 300+ flights and still like brand new.

Serge
Old 03-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I glued mine on and it was a great flying plane, 2 bad I got another transmitter after about 30 flights and even after I checked I was still to dumb to get right from left and reversed the ailerons so ended up knife edging into the runway WOT[>:]
Old 03-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Bob Laine

Andyt: Sorry to hear about your misshap with you Laser. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT