IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Starting IMAC

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 06:35 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting IMAC

Guys, this coming year I look to get into IMAC, I want some peoples experience with this...

What do I need to do to get ready for it.... i know burning fuels the best way, but what else do i need??? any info for someone starting out
Old 12-08-2002, 11:36 AM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Default Starting IMAC

Pack a plane and go to a contest. It doesn't matter what plane for Basic as there is no scale requirement for that class to allow people to try without the scale plane requirement. If you have a scale plane then you may of course use it. I have seen everything from pattern planes to 35% and one Piper J-3 in basic.

The next step will be one of the most enjoyable times (at least it has been for me) as the flow of information and help will seem like a rushing river.

http://www.frederickmodelaircraftclu...nstructors.htm

EXCAP232
Old 12-08-2002, 02:48 PM
mecam
My Feedback: (3)

Default keep your wings level

I was told once, the key is to enter the manuever with your wings perfectly level and you'll make less corrections.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:25 PM
Shortman

Default Starting IMAC

what things do i have to do, like anything i need to sign up with??? before i start
Old 12-08-2002, 11:34 PM
EXCAP232

Default Preparation

You will want to join IMAC http://www.mini-iac.com/main.asp

The site has a wealth of information including the new proposed sequences for 2003. Look in the judging guide for manuver downgrades. Wings not being level will deduct 1 point for every 10 degrees off. The most common downgrade is not making a level line entry or exit into and out of a manuver. 1/2 point not level entering and 1/2 point exeting and you just gave away 10% of your score. You will know what manuvers you will fly so practice before you attend. Fly the sequence in both directions as the wind will change from time to time and from location to location.

EXCAP232
Old 12-08-2002, 11:38 PM
Shortman

Default Starting IMAC

how do you join on the site?
Old 12-08-2002, 11:57 PM
EXCAP232

Default IMAC membership

http://www.mini-iac.com/downloads/downloads.asp

Click on IMAC membership blank.

The above will give you the form and mail it in. There was a discussion a while back to allow joining from the site. Not avalable yet.

EXCAP232
Old 12-08-2002, 11:59 PM
mecam
My Feedback: (3)

Default Starting IMAC

Shortman, there is no need to join now. You can pay at the day of the competition. You should download the sequence that you want to enter and practice that till you get a stiff neck. I think they will release the 2003 sequences by the end of this month. Also since you are in CA, you may want to do SCAT which is similar to IMAC. The website is http://www.scaleaerobatics.org
Old 12-09-2002, 12:08 AM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Default Starting IMAC

I agree with mecam on the flying tip. If your wings aren't DEAD level, you will have a very hard time keeping your line!
Old 12-09-2002, 09:46 AM
EXCAP232

Default wing level entry

Originally posted by Acroman330
I agree with mecam on the flying tip. If your wings aren't DEAD level, you will have a very hard time keeping your line!
IMAC flies wind corrected lines. If the wing is not level and there is no wind for example pulling to a vertical line will send the plane into an angle dependant on the amount of wing angle. A very slight angle is used to advantage with a cross wind (upwind wingtip down slightly into the wind). Read Don's books Proficient flying and Crosswind flying for much additional information. http://www.donshobbyshop.com/

The track of the plane is judged and not the attitude of the wing. This can become quite confusing unless you realize the corrections are to be done with the rudder. (Most pilots bank the wing if the plane is coming in or out which results in a downgrade. This is from learning how to fly and not being instructed to use the rudder to correct).

As is said in my original post go to a contest. Practice the sequence before going and have fun. If you intend to fly then go ahead and join IMAC. Start getting the newsletter (which is now published in RC Excellence mag) for additional information. Do a search here on RC Universe. Doug Chronkite is a former IMAC president and has added quite a few good bits of information to questions.

EXCAP232
Old 12-10-2002, 06:00 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default Re: Starting IMAC

You will get a lot of recommendations but as someone new, I would recommend that you get the Judges guide and look up the legal maneuvers for all of the classes. Then see which ones you can fly. (anything other than a zero). Practice those and once you get the individual maneuvers down, then begin putting them together. Other than basic class, you will need to fly an unknown round that will be comprised of legal maneuvers from your class. Get comfortable with the maneuvers before you try to put together or fly a sequence.

JUST MY OPINION AS A NEWBIE!

Originally posted by Shortman
What do I need to do to get ready for it.... i know burning fuels the best way, but what else do i need??? any info for someone starting out
Old 12-10-2002, 11:09 PM
Shortman

Default Starting IMAC

thanks Geistware
Old 12-11-2002, 08:03 AM
Ronbo

Default Starting IMAC

shortman,
what plane are u going to use for IMAC?

i think we are in the same boat, as i want to start next year as well. ill be campaigning the H9 edge, and ultimate as backup for basic.