IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Preparing for IMAC???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 06:45 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing for IMAC???

This is going to be my first year starting IMAC and I wanted to know what I should do to better prepare myself for the flying season... any help or tips would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-08-2002, 08:36 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Get your plane trimmed. There are trim charts floating around everywhere that walk you through step by step.

2. While you're waiting for the new sequences to come out, practice flying back and forth, perfectly straight and level. Keep your distance consistent. Start doing vertical turnaround maneuvers, as this will help you find out exactly how straight and level you were when you pull up. Also, it is good practice when you pull out of the vertical down-lines to try and be on a perfect heading.

3. When the new sequences come out, practice a lot. The lower classes have shorter sequences, so it should be very easy to get in a round or two every single flight. After doing a round you can have fun, but while doing practice (and really during all other flying) concentrate on making perfect lines: level, 45 up and down, and vertical up and down. Never let yourself get lazy with that. If you want to win you will have to spend your time practicing precision, rather than dabbling in 3D hot-dogging.

4. At your first competition, volunteer to scribe for a judge. You will learn a lot.

Also, right now you can go to the judging section of the IMAC site and see what they are looking for in the different maneuvers to be flown. Hope this helps. Remember, it is not the size of the plane that counts but the amount of gas put through it that determines the winner.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:05 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

And in general, when you fly - ALL THE TIME - think manuever starts and stops, lines, and PERFECT geometry. 45 degree lines, 60 lines, radiuses, square corners - all should be exact as you can make them.

If you are a simulator user, a good sim can help you "see" how manuvers string together, and what level lines and correct angles look like. On RealFlight, I practice with smoke on, and have it set for narrow dispersion, but long "hang", and it has surprised me how much that helps visualize the geometry desired.

Whether IMAC, or other types of aerobatic competitive flying, the focus of the pilot is precision of geometry (how does it look) and placement in the "box" (where did you put it)....
Old 12-08-2002, 11:14 AM
robert

Keep your plane in good shape, and always check it before flights. Don't ask how that wrecked my F3A plans.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:42 AM
Bob Pastorello

But Robert, "Inquiring" minds want to know (those who have LOST F3A airplanes themselves) :cry:

What *I* didn't check once was ailerons prior to takeoff. It was a pretty takeoff, and a nice airplane. "Takeoff Complete".....*CRASH*...."Sequence Complete"...yep...didn't plug 'em in when plugging on the wings. Distracted by a lookee lou....
Old 12-08-2002, 02:17 PM
robert

It wasb't a all out an out F3A plane, but something I was going to enter comps with. The battery plugged itself out straight after take off, and it buried itself nicely.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:33 PM
Shortman

thanks for the info.. i am going to need a fuel sponsership for my moki engine lol
Old 12-08-2002, 06:35 PM
robert

Did you get your Edge yet Shorty?
Old 12-08-2002, 06:37 PM
Bob Pastorello

Yes, you may. Being a FORMER glow-fuel user, I can attest to the expense of flying a lot. It has been a REAL treat to never have to go buy jugs of $17/gallon fuel for a DAY of serious practice. The $3 per WEEKEND rate is pretty easy to live with....
Old 12-08-2002, 06:58 PM
robert

If you haven't bought the Edge yet, maybe you should go for something else, like the CA models 27% or the AW 29%. You could stick in a gas with little weight problems, and they would no doubt fly better than the edge. Some guys love the Edge, alot of guys hate it. Also, I wouldn't buy a plane like the edge, and put top quality gear in it. I saw your list of accesories, and it looks like you will be buying a relatively cheap plane, and sticking in top gear in it. I would advise that you get the Edge, get some nice gear, the Moki 210, and save some money, by not getting all top class stuff, buy feul instead. Then save up more money, and after a season or two, when you begin to reach the limit with the edge, go for something bigger, and cheaper running gas.
Don't get me wrong, I am sure that it will be great for the level at which you will want to fly at, but if you haven't ordered it yet, I might look at some other planes.
My $20 worth.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:05 PM
Shortman

to late, got the edge and the moki 1.8
Old 12-08-2002, 09:05 PM
Shortman

reason i get digital servos, is one there the best, and two i can always take them out and put them in my next plane
Old 12-09-2002, 12:22 AM
robert

Its not a big problem if you already got the plane, as it will definately do you for a season or two, and your choice of digi servos is also a good one, as you can put them in your next plane. It was just incase you didn't buy the plane already. I wouldn't buy little things, that shave only a couple of grams off, and cost a good bit of money. Buy a gallon or two of feul instead.

Main thing to remember is to go out there and have fun Shorty, and don't worry about your first comp, although like any other human, you probably will incase you get embarresed.
Have fun,
Robert.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:32 AM
Shortman

lol, robert... thanks for the info though