Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

rubber tires for carpet

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 04:29 PM
twoody

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber tires for carpet

Hi Guys,
Are there any rubber tires out there that are good to use on carpet? I am getting sick of my foam tires getting all chunked up. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Woody
Old 12-09-2002, 07:40 PM
BuddhaTech

We used to run rubber on carpet here for a couple of years. A nice soft tire (yokomo 34M's) and a medium to firm insert are the way to go. Use a good solvent to clean the tires before each run and warm them up if you can. I tried many different types of traction additives but none of them were consistent once the tire warmed up and/or the additive would wear off. By just cleaning the tire (or sometimes not if that was the way to go) there is fresh rubber exposed and no compound to where off. I used motor spray sprayed on to a clean rag and just wiped the tires to get the carpet fuzz and dust off.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:54 PM
twoody

Default foam

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. How did these work compared to foam?
Woody
Old 12-09-2002, 11:21 PM
BuddhaTech

The fastest guys at the track changed to foam (Jaco purple and Pinks) and with out changing anything else picked up 2 laps on a medium speed 48' X 80' track. Foam = fast

That being said, there was almost no difference outside of the A main in PRO, OPEN, and STOCK. With the exception of the top 15% in each class, most of the other drivers were not consistent enough to quantify the difference between foam & rubber.

One other thing. The slip angle that is developed when running rubber can be pretty cool. If you have an open track you can drift the car around the medium and especially the high speed corners.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:23 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

when we first went to a bigger hall half the track was half wood, i went outside and scrubbed the tires with what was left in the pack after a race ready for the next, two laps in they warmmed up and i'd normally win with 2-3 laps in hand. they where yokomo slicks that came with the MR4-TC. i'm now on blue foams, they last at least 30 weeks for me, lost a chunk last week, the edge has rounded off, no diffrence now.