Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

metal spur or aluminum shoes??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 01:54 PM
m0rris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default metal spur or aluminum shoes??

Ok im having a real bad problem with the clutch shoes slipping and making the spur grear melt. should i get aluminum clutch shoes or a robinson racing clutbell and spur package?
Old 03-19-2006, 02:09 PM
the dog

Default RE: metal spur or aluminum shoes??

i like just the regular spur cause its cheap and i use 3 shoe all and it works great. lots of contact fast without extra contact to heat up to hot. i would go with a racing bell if using all shoes.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:12 PM
TireDr

I am using the aluminum clutch shoes (3 pc). They work very well.

TireDr
Old 03-19-2006, 05:27 PM
joes75
My Feedback: (2)

I had the same problem when I upgraded my engine. I upgraded to the RR gears with alloy clutch shoes and have never had a problem since then.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:54 PM
jkrustchinsky
Banned
My Feedback: (7)

DO NOT BUY A METAL SPUR!! its a waste of money, a metal to metal contact will just shred both the clutch bell and the spur, i thought a metal spur gear would end the problem but that happened, ill take a picture of a 40.00 shredded steel spur and a 15.00 bell!!!
Old 03-19-2006, 05:59 PM
joes75

If you get the RR gears get both the spur and the cb and you will not have a problem if your mesh is set right. Do not use a RR spur with an hpi or anyother clutch bell though then you will run into a problem like jkrustchinsky had.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Chronic

The problem is a slipping clutch that is causing the bell to heat up and melt the spur. Correct?

By adding a steel spur and hardened bell you will end the problem with the melted spurs, but you still haven't addressed the root problem. The clutch assembly would still be getting too hot. Your spur will be fine, but you'll constantly go through clutch shoes and CB bearings, plus you won't be seeing the maximum performance that you have on tap. I don't really have any problems with steel spurs, but that's the wrong way to address this problem.

Get some aluminum shoes for your factory setup or upgrade to a better clutch system, like a slider where the carbon shoes will have more contact area to reduce slippage.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Savage545

If you get the RR combo, then the clutch bell is also hardened. Set up properly it will not strip.
Personally I would get the aluminum shoes and stick with the plastic spur. Make sure you clean out your clutch to prevent any slipping. This should help keep the clutch bell temps lower which means less chance of stripping a spur.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:16 PM
azzman

I have run a RR combo since day one and its been going great, I also upgraded to alu clutch shoes (later on) and noticed an improvement straight away, go for the shoes first and if you still have problems with spurs then go for the RR combo. THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH METAL TO METAL CONTACT! You have metal to metal contact in your gearbox and your safeguard is your slipper (if set right).
Old 03-22-2006, 12:02 PM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: jkrustchinsky

DO NOT BUY A METAL SPUR!! its a waste of money, a metal to metal contact will just shred both the clutch bell and the spur, i thought a metal spur gear would end the problem but that happened, ill take a picture of a 40.00 shredded steel spur and a 15.00 bell!!!

40$?? Dude you bought that spur from RCboys on ebay for 10.99$ buy it now + 1.69$ s+h.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: m0rris

Ok im having a real bad problem with the clutch shoes slipping and making the spur grear melt. should i get aluminum clutch shoes or a robinson racing clutbell and spur package?

NEITHER.
All you need is a plastic spur, don't run anything higher than a 16T clutchbell, keep youe slipper clutch clean, and run Mugen carbon shoes with 1.0 rate clutch springs. I have been running this super reliable combo for over 3 years without ANY kind of component failure. (I have a Collari .30 spinning the above mentioned drivetrain, so I am putting some hefty torque to the dirt). I also drilled my Savage clutchbell for added cooling.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:54 PM
itspuddingtime00

ORIGINAL: someguywitasavage

ORIGINAL: jkrustchinsky

40$?? Dude you bought that spur from RCboys on ebay for 10.99$ buy it now + 1.69$ s+h.
Haha, if that is true, then you just got owned.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:57 PM
-SomeGuy-

It is true, he's selling his savage (tisk tisk) on rcu and ebay so i was able to check his past purchases.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:09 PM
jkrustchinsky
Banned
My Feedback: (7)

i havnt been here in a while so you shouldnt diss, i told you i got it from the hobbyshop, trust me if it was a 10 spur i wouldnt be too pissed, its a golden horizons chrome 51t spur i bought at the hobby shop, the 10.00 one was for a friend, turned out the 10.00 one didnt strip, but yeah the savy is for sale, ends today

after a few days after putting it on ebay im starting to regret it, BUT HELL I MIGHT GO AHEAD AND BUY A SAVAGE X NOW!!
Old 03-23-2006, 06:49 PM
-SomeGuy-

Dude i didnt mean it as a diss and im actually considering buying your savage.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:13 PM
INTEGRA

well in regards to the RR bell and spur combo......i used them in sequence with my stock 25...then i got a XTM 24.7 and upgraded to allum shoes and somehow melted the CB wore a ring right through the bell....i dunno ive been told by a couple people that the RR isnt the best spur cb combo out there....just my 2 cents..

InTeGrA
Old 03-24-2006, 11:22 PM
scoprius

my savy le came with the 3 shoe clutch and my dads friend tuned my engine it has massive power and high rpm compaired to how i had it tuned i haven't had a problem yet except one spur gear due to messed up mesh from the factory. and porting the clutch bell if you did it with enough small holes in a might help because the shoes would grip on the edges of the holes
Old 03-25-2006, 12:53 AM
joes75

ORIGINAL: scoprius

my savy le came with the 3 shoe clutch and my dads friend tuned my engine it has massive power and high rpm compaired to how i had it tuned i haven't had a problem yet except one spur gear due to messed up mesh from the factory. and porting the clutch bell if you did it with enough small holes in a might help because the shoes would grip on the edges of the holes
Porting the clutchbell leaving rough edges? I would think the shoes would get worn down much faster like this and unevenly.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:22 AM
scoprius

your prob right but smaller holles leave fairly smooth edges if you dont preasure the drill too much so it might help with the temp of the clutch bell
Old 03-25-2006, 02:55 AM
EG1

Alluminum clutch shoes make such a big difference, they grab well and keep the clutchbell cool. Metal spurs are a waste of $$$ and cause uneeded drag, set the mesh and your plastic spur will last gallons..unless the engine shifts of coarse.