Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Using Aqua Net before covering?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Using Aqua Net before covering?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 03:59 AM
BillBo
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Aqua Net before covering?

I've heard second or third hand, that Aqua Net hair spray works well as a balsa treatment prior to the application of iron-on covering.

I understand that it works similar to Balsa-Rite.

Does anyone have experience with this?

BillBo
Old 12-10-2002, 11:51 PM
BlackBart

I don't know about that application but I know Aqua Net works
real well in a potato cannon, honestly! But seriously, I'd like to know the answer to the covering issue also, as I have a large
covering job coming up soon.

BlackBart
Old 12-17-2002, 12:03 PM
Kaos Rulz

Has anyone tried this yet?
Old 12-17-2002, 03:13 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's my take on this....

The theory behind using hairspray is to glue-down any balsa dust. Problem is, you're gluing it down with a water-soluable spray that is intended to hold hair down for about 6 hours (before humidity washes it away).

Wipe your wing with a tack cloth before covering and you won't need it. If you still feel the need to glue down the dust, use Balsarite, dope, or something else that's a little more permanent.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:51 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by BlackBart
I don't know about that application but I know Aqua Net works
real well in a potato cannon,
BlackBart
Works really really good in my cannon. Don't smoke if you are spraying it. Can you say FIREBALL?
Old 12-18-2002, 06:45 PM
Carolina Raptor
My Feedback: (1)

So, what do you fire your potatos at?? Planks or helis..
Old 12-18-2002, 06:49 PM
Chris300s
My Feedback: (1)

Default Balsarite, where's it hiding?

Where do you get the Balsarite? I have 2 cans of the fabric formula but haven't been able to get the film formula for 9 months! I'm getting ready to cover my 1/3 scale Cap and need find something to help the covering adhere to the light ply and spackle. Any opinions on thinned nitrate dope, thinned white glue or a solvent for Balsarite Fabric formula?
Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-18-2002, 07:53 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

Default hairspray on da wood

I know some guys that use hair spray to seal the wood pores prior to sheeting a wing. It is suppose to keep the wood from absorbing to much glue. Thus helping to keep the weight down. I dont know how it works as far as using it prior to applying film.

Try it out on a test piece of wood and lets us know. Experimentation is the spice of a hobbyist.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:32 PM
BrianB
My Feedback: (2)

Default Prep for covering

I use a 50/50 mix of regular Elmers white glue and water. Wipe on the sheeting with foam brush and go right behind it with paper towel to avoid heavy soaking of wood. Let dry overnight and sand with 400 to 600 grit sand paper, tack cloth and cover. This alows the wood to be sanded nice and smooth and helps covering bond with wood.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:07 PM
ml3456

I use a generic latex polyurethane sanding sealer. Put 2 coats on with light sanding before and after. Seals the grain very well, does not add weight ( or so little that my scale couldn't tell the difference0 and UltraCoat seems to stick better, but not so much that you can't remove it and work with it (unlike Balsarite).

Since using it, my planes also don't seem to the covering loosening in the sun. Try it. a quart costs about $8.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:44 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

If you come into my shop you will find a can of super extra hold Aqua Net hair spray, now whether or not it will work as asked I don't know, but it sure does have another function. You see I really don't like Bee's, like I really hate them to death and they don't like me and in the summer I have the door open when in the shop. Well they always seem to find that door and come in and start buzzing me, not good!!!! I wait till they land and then give them a good hit of the hair spray and now they are one grounded bee, couple more hits and they are a very dead and very stiff Bee!!!!! :devious:
Old 12-21-2002, 03:22 AM
CAP232CM
My Feedback: (8)

BryanB's method works the best. You won't belive how smooth the wood gets after this method. Try it.
Old 12-24-2002, 05:07 PM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bee spray

a good bee spray that works instantly and is not a pesticide is plain old rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle.spray a bee with either the mist or stream and they immediatly curl up dead.you can also use the spray to remove oily residue from your plane or help free up an old engine.