Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Lock Center Diff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 07:09 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lock Center Diff?

I fired up the Savage for the first time in five months and it runs great. That's why I love this truck....I expect no less.

I did notice that the front wheels are getting the majority of the power and are throwing dirt and grass over the rear tires. Since most of the weight is in the back, the center diff. seems to favor the front where there is less weight and less resistance, so I am considering locking the center diff. only. That should even out the power to both the front and rear, and my back tires will hook up better. Steering should be unaffected.

Have you done this? Is it a mistake?

Thanks!
Jason
Old 04-04-2006, 07:15 PM
LaxerMan21
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lock Center Diff?

savages dont have center diffs just a tranny...correct me if im wrong but i believe im correct
Old 04-04-2006, 07:16 PM
burnchassis3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Center diff?
Your confused ...the center diff is the trans ,and you dont want to lock that.
You can lock up the front ,and rear differentials,by simply packing/filling with grease.
Nothing but better performance when you do.....and you can undo it by taking out the grease.
I've seen the rock crawlers even lock up the diffs with jb weld...although I wouldnt recomend it for anything except crawling.
CS
Old 04-04-2006, 07:18 PM
burnchassis3

Check for a loose drive cup shaft pin(at the trans side ,or at the rear diff side.)..If this is loose ,or gone ,your rear tires do very little to nothing.
CS
Old 04-04-2006, 07:25 PM
icecreamslick

Abuuuuuh. I guess I'm just out of it completely! I have also been working on a Kyosho Inferno (which has a center diff.) and my brain is skipping like a scratched record. Thanks for the correction....you did not even make fun of me.

Okay. I'll check the cups and pins for damage.

Thanks, you guys!
Jason
Old 04-04-2006, 08:02 PM
icecreamslick

Well, nothing is broken or missing, so I rolled the truck across my deck with only the front wheels touching the ground. Then, I did the same with the rear wheels, but everything seems to be in perfect working order. Whichever end is in the air, the wheels spin with the one in contact with the wood, and at the same speed. [] Under throttle though, the front wheels definately get more power.

It's strange.....I don't remember it throwing dirt and grass over the rear tires, before. I went through a steep-sided hole and the front wheels were spinning as I tried to climb out, but the back wheels would not hook up. They seemed to have no thust behind them at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Jason
Old 04-05-2006, 12:24 AM
myber92fs

I blew my rear diff and it did the same thing on me .Cause I just knocked a few teeth off of one of the bid gears in the diff cup.Not the ring gear on the outside but one of the inside gears. sorry I dont know what there called.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:09 AM
icecreamslick

Thanks! I guess I have something to do this weekend, after all.

Jason