Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

New and need some info on HPI RS 4 W/ .12ss engine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New and need some info on HPI RS 4 W/ .12ss engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 11:30 PM
thevitz25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and need some info on HPI RS 4 W/ .12ss engine

Hey nice looking board so far. Anyhow, I recently got back into RC's. I ended up buying a HPI RS4 3 type SS(.12ss engine). I also bought some hop up parts for it, which include: Vented flywheel(lightwt.), fiber disk brakes and a racing clutch. First thing I would like to know since i dont have a rader gun. A educated guess how fast will this car go with proper tunning etc.(stock).?

Next, is there a better/faster engine I could buy for it? I only race the car in big parking lots. I would be looking for more top speed and acceration.(I want something fast yet duriable).

What other parts/hop ups could or should i get to improve the proformance of my car?

Last, silly question but, why do people buy Alumunim parts? Looks? Proformance? Are Alum. parts lighter then stock parts? What about woven graphfite shock towers/ better then stock?

Thanks alot guys for the info....Have a great day!
Old 12-13-2002, 03:30 AM
kyokai2

Default RS4

I had the same car and I really liked it but my fun is in the dirt hitting doubles and triples. They say that the top speed of the car is 50mph. By buying a different style pipe and changing the gearing you could easily get 60 or 65. The aluminum parts are mostly for looks but they are somewhat stronger than the nylon parts, if your racing its not worth the extra expense when engine mods and gearing are where the speed is. Also, get rid of the pullstart and that will free up some extra power, higher percent of nitro will boost the power also but you have to watch out for high engine temps running the higher nitro, personally I dont use over 30%. The 12 SS is a quick little engine and with some mods and pro porting you could probably get 1.5 or more horse out of it. Oh, the stock dog bones are dragging on your drive train too, mip cvd axles free up more power too, any weight you lose helps alot. Hope this helps out.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:20 PM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Default Engine

Some great suggestions in that previsous response.

MT-12 if you want to replace the engine with something with balls, make sure you get the standard shaft and not the SG competition shaft.

Aluminum parts?
You say you just getting back into it, meaning that you have been here dont that?

You should know...Its an ADDICTION!!!!

That and some people like the aluminum look etc, but I never looked at an aluminum car as a racer. Aluminum projects turn out to be heavy and very, very expensive.
Certain parts can be added to strenghten certain designs, however you have to be on the look out so that you dont strengthen something that breaks something else.

Dbow