Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Another tail motor suggestion....

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Another tail motor suggestion....

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 06:57 PM
wilburwreckage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another tail motor suggestion....

Not sure if any one else has tried this, but I have just fried another Direct Drive motor

Basically I was doing some intentional piro's and the prop shot off, I then did lots of unintentional piros . I stopped pushed the prop back on, but the shaft is only retained by the plastic cap which was obviously warm and the shaft popped thru [:@]

It had always struck me that on a 3s LiPo setup, a motor that says on the packet max 7.2v wasn't a good idea. Spurred on by my impatience (With the long weekend coming up and knowing I couldn't get my hands on a replacement) I had a brainwave. I raided the attic and found a Scalextric (slot car) motor. Now slot cars run at 12v, which is much closer to the battery, so I always figured these would be good, but probably way too heavy.

To my amazement the one I found (obviously a cheap one) didn't seem to weigh much (if any) more than the DD motor. Especially as now I didn't need the 2 heatsinks I had!! I swapped it over and the CG hadn't noticeably changed.

The RPM is lower than the DD motor, so I have put on a bigger prop ( Ithink it's a 4530), and so far so good!!!

I needed to turn the giro up quite a bit, and add a little more proportional, but so far it seems to be working. I managed to hover it for a quick test flight indoors.

Will postup tomorrow what flight times and performance are like.

Si
Old 04-14-2006, 05:12 AM
wilburwreckage

Default RE: Another tail motor suggestion....

back to the drawing board...

After a few minutes of hovering outside in a slight breeze the motor started loosing it's performance.

Si
Old 04-14-2006, 09:12 AM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Another tail motor suggestion....

somewhere on this site is a post to another website about using a resistor and a diode, to bring down the voltage from lipo's to around 9 volts for the tail.

Here is the link, click the tail motor button in the menu
http://bladecp.corocks.com/