Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

hanger 9 advance .40

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

hanger 9 advance .40

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 11:30 PM
bill100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hanger 9 advance .40

I just tracked down one of these discontinued models and ordered it today. Have read some glowing reports from owners but also some suggestions for improving the plane. I'd welcome any input of any kind from owners regarding construction modifications, flying suggestions, powering, etc. Understand that manual does not provide CG or throw information so would appreciate any guidance. and thanks for help. bill beardsley
Old 12-14-2002, 01:49 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I had a 46pro on it which was fine but switched to a 61pro. No reason,just felt like it. I also made it a tail dragger. Simple modifcation. Just installed a piece of 1/4 ply on the inside/under the fuel tank right in front of where the front of the wing goes in. make sure you expoy to the bottom and sides. Then use white nylon 1/4by 20 to hold it on. reason is incase you gooff in the weeds, it wil only break the bolts instead of riping off the whole bottom.
Old 12-14-2002, 02:17 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About the only complaint that I can remember about this model is its sluggish roll rate. The best advice to improve the roll rate is to seal the aileron hinge gaps...
Old 12-14-2002, 02:31 AM
bill100

txs galen and hardover> both good suggestions which i will incorporate. and will welcome any more. just completing construction of Hanger 9 Ultra Stick .40 this week. Advance will be next one off the bench. will submit progress to this thread. and thanks for your guidance. bill beardsley
Old 12-14-2002, 04:02 AM
JoeMamma

Default Advance 40 (Hanger 9)

To: Bill B.

This has been the best everyday fun-flyer in my fleet. You're going to love this aircraft. I powered mine with an OS 46FX.

I have assembled 22 ARF's in the past 5 years and the overall quality on this particular model was the best , out of all.

This is the only ARF I own where the original landing gear wires are still holding their original shape (no bending), despite some nasty landings (did you hear that World Models/Airborne ?? ).

The model has almost 300 (logged) flights over almost a 4 year period.

The only small problem I had was the steel aileron rods started to rip through both of the ailerons. I simply removed a small section of covering below and above the rod and epoxied in a 1/2" x 3/4" square piece of 1/32" plywood. I had the exact same problem with both a Hobbico TwinStar and a Hobbico SuperStar.

In the future, any aircraft I purchase with this type of "aileron rod" setup will get the repair BEFORE flying.

As in the previous reply, I agree, the roll rate is very sluggish. Sealing the gaps will probably help, although I haven't tried this myself.

Hope you enjoy it !!
Old 12-14-2002, 05:08 AM
bill100

joemamma: txs. I'll be sure to inspect the rod system to correct the deficiency you suggested. happy to hear you so pleased with both product and performance. this will be my second low wing plane, the other being a Slowpoke .40 ARF that has had exactly three flights so far. (And, in my opinion, the Poke is an equally outstanding addition to anyone's hanger.) Thanks for your suggestion. If you have any more, please don't hesitate to pass them along. bill beardsley