Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Grantimus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine issues

i just got my 18ss kit and ive had a blast putting it together. im new with rc cars so this is my first time breaking in an engine and i cant keep it going. for some reason, it wont idle. it has to have at least 1/4 throttle, to stay alive. i cant figure out what the problem is, so if you guys have any tips or advice i would appreciate it.

also, im painting the body. do i need to have enough coats so that the shell isnt see through when held to the light?
thanks
-grant
Old 05-12-2006, 07:22 PM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: engine issues

(posted in other thread) grantimus, i sorta had the same problem with mine, make sure your carb is staying open 1-2mm at idle, and lean out the hsn 1/8th of a turn until it will run about 10 seconds on its own, at idle when breaking in, the engine tends to load up on excess fuel which will make it cut out, also lean out the lsn 1/8th of a turn, that should help, mine was a little stubborn too

as for paitning the body, you will want to get a paint that is made for lexan, and wash it with dishsoap and warm water, rinse for about 5-10 minutes, you will want to do several coats and then a white backing so its not see through
Old 05-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Grantimus

alright ill try that thanks.

i guess that means i got to go buy more paint. those pactra cans are tiny. i only got two coats out of it.

i was breaking it in and got to the end of the tank. since there is air in the fuel line at this point it leans it way out and the rpms shoot up. i wasnt really expecting this at this point in time and it was headed straight for a curb. heading straight for a curb + newbie at the controls + sudden boost of speed = crash. luckily i only broke the exhaust tip off. which is annoying because i dont want exhaust all over the inside of my newly painted body and i cant find the piece that broke off to glue back on. i know im gonna wreck this thing some, but on the first break in run...? oh well.

-grant
Old 05-13-2006, 11:35 AM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry i didnt specify to let it run out of fuel while its sitting still, my mistake, i hope those pactra cans arent too small because i have to paint a body with those in a fwe day, if your running the stock exhaust, go ahead and upgrade it to soemthing better with an entire tip (aka stinger) on it, and if you dont want exhaust on the inside of your body, you can use an exhaust deflector
Old 05-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Grantimus

no i let it run through the first tank, statically. i got the engine tuned decently too (thanks for the tips) and all i can say is wow this thing is fast. i cant find a parking lot big enough! its a blast for my exhaust tip i cut up a pen and glued part of the shell where the old tip was. it still kinda sucks cause it spews a little exhaust on the inside of the body.

for some reason after running at high speeds and then stopping the drivetrain will stick and i have to break it free. i think the brake disk may be getting a little too hot and sticking to the calipers. i'm not really sure it could be just gravel?

and yes those cans are tiny.

-grant