Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Lites for night flying??

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Lites for night flying??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 12:31 AM
Flatspin-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lites for night flying??

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where to get, and what kind of mini lites you guys are using for night flying...I have a Accord 47 electric plane which is covered in trans yellow and would like to implant some lites in the wings and a string down the fuse to lite up the plane for nite flying..I noticed in HL there is a set of lites for the Wingo but there a little expensive at 52.00 dollars. I would like to make up my own. So whats the popular setup guys...TIA

Ron
Old 12-20-2002, 04:50 AM
theKAT
My Feedback: (1)

RC-Cam Man

Karl
Old 12-20-2002, 05:57 PM
Cactus.

i have coloured side firing LEDs under white film, diffuses well and gives good light, transparrent films don't diffuse the light and you end up flying lots of coloured dots.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	42017_743.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	26324  
Old 12-24-2002, 06:29 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

refer to the "Lights (inc Night Flight)"

CoolWireUSA Luminescent
Fiberoptics
Glow Inc - Glow in the Dark Powder
Lighting System for Night Flying
Night Flight - B.D.Felice
R_C Neon
Ram Radio Controlled Models Home Page section "
at

Alan's Hobby Web Links
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~atong/
.................................................. ............

regards
Alan T.
Old 12-25-2002, 02:07 AM
bentgear

If you do another one, before covering, try glowire.com and thread the wire thru holes cut in the ribs.
Ed M.
Old 12-25-2002, 08:49 PM
Trombe

I really like that glowire stuff- looks neat!
Old 12-25-2002, 10:52 PM
Tattoo

We've been buying the glow bracelets, pretty cheap, and you can tape them to the plane any way you want. They give more than enought light for night flying, and last for about 6 hours. The cool part is when you're done, just remove them and toss em out. No hassle, works great!

an example here:
http://www.glow-necklaces-light-stic....com/store.asp
Old 12-25-2002, 11:32 PM
jerrysu29

Default Night Flying OHHH Yehhh!!!!!

The most important thing to do,When lighting up your plane is to light up the leading edge of the wing for Orientation when landing if nothing else. One other thing I tried that wasn't to smart was landing lights in the leading edge. I found out how Deer feel when they get hit with brights from someones auto hehehe!!! Lots of the time we just go to Wall Mart buy up a pile of the diff. color Camping Glo sticks and head to the Field. these will last all night!!! Best time to buy the Glo sticks is just before Halloween at Wall Mart Just tape them on with 3M packing tape and away you go. 3 or 4 across the leading edge, make a diamond pattern when looking down at your Plane and a cross when seen from the bottom. Set up this way they can be all one color. TRUST ME I do allot of night flying and have Instructed many people to this form of model aviation ONE WHOLE LOT OF FUN !!! On a Night with a Full Moon it is a blast to try to hover your plane against the light of the Moon like looking at the Bat Signal Our Club Always tries to have one night flight a month (late Spring through Early Fall ) during the Full Moon Nights
Merry Christmas to all !!
Old 12-26-2002, 06:42 AM
bentgear

Tattoo, thanks for the link. Great quick way to night fly a plane not equipped with glowire. Cheaper than local purchase of lightsticks.
Ed M.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:49 PM
Tattoo

Tattoo, thanks for the link. Great quick way to night fly a plane not equipped with glowire. Cheaper than local purchase of lightsticks.
You bet! Last summer was the first time I ever tried night flying and I couldn't believe how much fun it is! I go to several weekend 2 day combat events every year, and it's become customary to stay until after dark on Saturday and night fly. We tape the light sticks onto our combat planes and have a blast!!!

One word of warning! Although the glow sticks are not heavy, they do have weight! After equiping your plane, especially if you use them on the tail, be sure and check your airplane's balance! (I learned this one from experience)
Old 12-26-2002, 02:24 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Default Re: Night Flying OHHH Yehhh!!!!!

Originally posted by jerrysu31
The most important thing to do,When lighting up your plane is to light up the leading edge of the wing for Orientation when landing if nothing else. One other thing I tried that wasn't to smart was landing lights in the leading edge. I found out how Deer feel when they get hit with brights from someones auto hehehe!!! Lots of the time we just go to Wall Mart buy up a pile of the diff. color Camping Glo sticks and head to the Field. these will last all night!!! Best time to buy the Glo sticks is just before Halloween at Wall Mart Just tape them on with 3M packing tape and away you go. 3 or 4 across the leading edge, make a diamond pattern when looking down at your Plane and a cross when seen from the bottom. Set up this way they can be all one color. TRUST ME I do allot of night flying and have Instructed many people to this form of model aviation ONE WHOLE LOT OF FUN !!! On a Night with a Full Moon it is a blast to try to hover your plane against the light of the Moon like looking at the Bat Signal Our Club Always tries to have one night flight a month (late Spring through Early Fall ) during the Full Moon Nights
Merry Christmas to all !!
I know what you mean about the deer in the headlights. I put landing lights on mine also. However, when testing it in the dark in the basement, I saw the problem. What I did was remount them under the wing, and aimed them about 45 downwards and slightly towards the nose. What that did was allow them to light up the ground from about 2-3 feet on final, and also add some light to the fuselage sides from the wing leading edge all the way out to the nose. It make a big difference in anticipating the ground and when to flare.

As you mentioned, just don't aim them straight ahead!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays all.....
Old 12-26-2002, 02:45 PM
Cactus.

landing mines a bit easier... come to a hang in front of your self, then lower till you see a glow off the ground. then again... the ground is always 5'8" below my eyes. the glow from the plane has always been enough to land by for me. tho the LE could do with being brighter
Old 12-26-2002, 03:19 PM
Tattoo

Speaking of landing, I forgot to add another very important thing we do with the light sticks...outline the runway!...just set then down every few feet or so...looks really cool.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:52 PM
jerrysu29

Default Run Way lighting

We just mark the center line every 20 with the 6" Glo sticks. One Other thing we tried that really got a rise out of the guys, was to take my night Flier install a micro switch to a mini servo to turn the lighting on and off from the trans. I would turn the lights off while being the only one up and Yell OHHH NO I Lost MY Lighting. Works Great!!! Really got em!!! hehehehehe OR try this one some time put 3 6" Glo sticks on the leading edge and GO FLY !!!
Old 12-26-2002, 11:31 PM
BlackHorsearegreat

Got a set of these lights on my GWS Tiger Moth, they are by far the most realistic set I've seen IMHO.

www.curtek.com

I have nothing to do with this co, just a satisfied customer
Old 12-30-2002, 07:00 PM
Stratotanker
My Feedback: (3)

Here is my Tiger 2 for night flying. I just use mag light bulbs for the nav lights and mag light mini mags for the landing lights, shows up very good at night. I have a 2.4v 2800 mah battery that will last for a few hours. Lots of fun
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	43848_5010.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	26325