Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

5 gallons... why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 06:50 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 5 gallons... why?

My Evolution and ZDZ's have on board tattletale -part of the ignition. positive info as it is a direct read of sparks fired -
when you land ,you can read max rpms
If you run a high pitched prop in a clean airframe -like a racer setup --you will see more difference in on ground to in air readings
If you run a flat pitched prop on a light n draggy 3D piggy - the on ground to in air unload is less
here is why: for 3d floppin around you need a prop which is at max thrust at low speeds so typically you prop for high ground rpm and the prop really does not do much unloading as speed tops out fast in the air .
when we ran really high rpm 60's in some pattern planes yeas back, we tried raised timing -low compression and lots of nitro and got setups which only ran about 15000 on the ground but jumped to about 20,000 in the air .
Control line speed jobs jumped even more when you whipped em to get up on the pipe
the typical setups I fly for putting around are the 80 single and a 160 twin in unlimited clas aerobatic models
rpm unload is under 1000 on these setup - more like 400-700 rpm depending on props used .
Old 05-16-2006, 06:58 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread should be used as one of those sticky threads that never moves from the top. The last 10 to 15 posts should be made mandatory reading, but then again that would decrease about half of the new threads in this section.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:06 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I wonder what our stock G23's or G26's would unload to.

Karol
Old 05-16-2006, 11:11 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

I guess it should be deleted then

Since we aren't talking about the original post anymore (it was a dumb question anyway... I can say that... it was mine):

1) Where do you buy the scents for gasoline?

2) Do they have any effect on the motor?

I really don't mind the smell of gas... in fact I prefer if it smells bad because it keeps me from breathing hydrocarbons (if it smelled good I'd be breathing it all the time!), but my curiosity is killing me with these scents... I just can't see how you can really make gas smell like apple!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 12:06 AM
RTK

Sillyness---This whole thread answered many questions that people continually ask. Breaking in, needles, etc. That is what I was meaning, no such thing as a dumb question.
As for the scents, I would settle for the smell of gasoline from 40 years ago. Apricot might be nice though
Old 05-17-2006, 12:51 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ralph,

You forgot to note that the differences in fuel scents can be widely effected by the type of oil used in the mix. As you recall, the odor of the mix I use is more pleasant than the mix you use. Silly stuff overall, but to some it matters greatly for various reasons.

You guys all go fly so I can remain disgruntled and jealous

Pat
Old 05-17-2006, 06:19 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Ralph,

You forgot to note that the differences in fuel scents can be widely effected by the type of oil used in the mix. As you recall, the odor of the mix I use is more pleasant than the mix you use. Silly stuff overall, but to some it matters greatly for various reasons.

Pat
I know that 32:1 Lawnboy smells terrible compared to 80:1 Amsoil!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:29 PM
RTK

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Pat
I haven't flown since the last time you were back from sand box classes[] I wish I could make you feel jealous and disgruntled But I am going to try on Sunday
Old 05-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Josey,

You'll find that 80-1 Redline smells much better than the 80-1 Amsoil. RTK can vouch for that one. Wierd, huh?
Old 05-17-2006, 11:01 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Gene Payson had some grape stuff in his gas. Smelled cool I guess. He said they had a bunch of other scents and it was used first in drag racing.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Going back to the break-in part, I respectfully disagree using synthetic oil for proper break in.

But on the other hand, with todays top CNC machines making these parts a break in as we once knew it, might not be as necessary as one thinks, therefore using the synthetic oils would be OK from the getgo. All one has to do is to proper tune the engine.

Roger
Old 05-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

Roger....Do you think there will be an issue from starting with synthetic and then going back to non-synthetic to break the engine in?

Smokey
ORIGINAL: Forgues Research

Going back to the break-in part, I respectfully disagree using synthetic oil for proper break in.

But on the other hand, with todays top CNC machines making these parts a break in as we once knew it, might not be as necessary as one thinks, therefore using the synthetic oils would be OK from the getgo. All one has to do is to proper tune the engine.

Roger
Old 05-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Forgues Research

ORIGINAL: Smokey

Roger....Do you think there will be an issue from starting with synthetic and then going back to non-synthetic to break the engine in?

Smokey
ORIGINAL: Forgues Research

Roger

No not at all. I did just that a few years ago with a ZDZ 80 boxer. After about 20 flights, I realized that this thing needed break-in oil so I went back to break-in oil and ran it for about 3 gallons like this and then went back to 100:1 Amsoil synthetic mixed at about 85:1 and never looked back.

Now I'm running a small amount of break-in oil in all my Evo engines for a short time then switching to Amsoil.

One word of advice when using break-in oil (petroleum) don't run the engine at too low of a speed, you need to burn off that oil or your spark plug will get fowled.

I like Amsoil but I'm sure there are many other good synthetics outhtere.

Roger
Old 05-18-2006, 05:50 PM
rmh

a fowled plug?
please chick your spelling
Old 05-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

a fowled plug?
LOL!
Old 05-18-2006, 06:11 PM
RTK

It's the bird flu type of fowling
Old 05-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Forgues Research

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

a fowled plug?
Hey Dick when you can speak french as well as I can speak english, then you can correct me

Roger
Old 05-18-2006, 11:33 PM
rmh

Oui