Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

question on removing paint

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

question on removing paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 09:25 PM
donniercjet
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on removing paint

are there any good ways to remove paint?? i started to sand it but as it gets warm it gets "gooie" or "gummie" and fills the sand paper. i have also tryed scraping it but all the contours of the jet makes it imposible. i dont know what type of paint it is all i know is it needs to come off. any help would be helpful.... thanks in advance donniercjet
Old 05-19-2006, 09:49 PM
aparchment

Default RE: question on removing paint

A lot of guys use strippers, er stripping chemicals.

I have never had anything long enough to warrant repainting it.

Antony
Old 05-19-2006, 11:00 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a heat gun. Or try taking it to a car wash and power washing it. Either has worked for me. Depends on the paint.

If not, try acetone, which is a solvent for most, but not all, paints, and is pretty harmless stuff. Soak a rag and let it sit on an area for a while and penetrate. Epoxy paints, you might need a different solvent.

Sanding is a long, long way around.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:28 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

for me , acetone has worked the best..just don't use it on plastic or foam .. make sure to WEAR GLOVES and have adequate ventilation

Voy
Old 05-24-2006, 02:46 PM
jetjockey
My Feedback: (8)

I went to a local Sherwin Williams automotive paint store and asked for a paint stripper that was safe for fiberglass. They sold me a gallon of very thick stripper that the Corvette painters use and guaranteed that it wouldn't hurt the fiberglass on my C-ARF MiG 15. Worked like a charm and took the paint right off. Smelly and messy, but sure did the job. Be sure and use heavy duty rubber gloves, and plenty of paper towels, 'cause the stuff is pretty caustic and will burn your hands. Apply the stripper, let it set until the paint bubbles, use a plastic scraper, and it comes right off. I also used a small brass brush to get into cracks and crevices. You might have to apply the stripper more than once if there is more than one layer of paint, or the paint is really thick. When you get the paint off, kill the stripper by washing the fiberglass surface with soapy water and paper towels. Let it dry, prime and repaint. Worked for me, and went a lot faster than I thought, but was really messy - sure beat sanding or trying to scrape it off. I covered my bench with lots of old newspapers, and got with it. I don't know if the stripper would work on an epoxy based primer or not - my MiG was primed with a standard solvent release primer and flat paint, so it worked really well.

Good luck.

Les
Old 05-24-2006, 03:07 PM
jetjockey
My Feedback: (8)

I forgot to caution you about using acetone. Some fiberglass resins can soften and/or melt when acetone gets on them. Also, the acetone is thin and tries to run all over the place (and is HIGHLY flammable). Acetone will immediately melt foam if it touches or splashes on it, so watch your foam wings if you use it. I wouldn't recommend acetone for anything except to thin epoxy, and remover CA from your fingers.

Regards, Les