Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Hi, Newbie to giant scale, Please Help!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Hi, Newbie to giant scale, Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 06:04 AM
Jim Gilbert
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, Newbie to giant scale, Please Help!!!

Hi, while recovering from surgery(motorcycle racing), I discovered the fantastic world of RC aircraft! COOL if you crash you don't go to the emergency(unless maybe you hit yourself) Anyway in the last two months I started with a Kadet Senior, bought an ultrastick 60 with a gms 76. Liked it so much (crow's cool) I bought an ultrastick 120 with an OS 160 (I live 1 hour away from Chief aircraft)(Can you tell I'm very addicted) Now with winter kicking in I have dead time (not friendly flying weather here in Oregon) to build a "real" plane!!! I appreciate all of the info I've gathered from RC universe, Thankyou!
So the $1,000,000 question is, What should I build?????I've read "bigger is better" I've heard a rumor H9 is releasing a new 33% cap after the new year? Maybe a Lanier 30% Edge with ZDZ 80? 33% H9 Sukoi with DA 100 (I'm drooling now) or should I work up to 33% ? Maybe a H9 Cap 27% with a Moki 2.10, Dave Patricks new edge with a YS DZ 140 I don't know! I do know the more steps you take the more engines and servos and batteries you must buy cuz they won't work in a larger planes, right? Your experience and advice would be appreciated!
Thankyou, (Addicted in Ashland, OR.) C.J.
PS I caught on kinda quick due to Real Flight sim. and some cool teachers! I not afraid
Old 12-22-2002, 06:32 PM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

Default Skill Level?

What is your flying skill level? Considering that you will fly the large bird. It is important to know what you have successfully flown. Not just landed and take off, but can you put the bird where you want it when you want it. Big birds are $$$$ and you didn't mention your skill. Let me know and I will be glad to help.

I have a small 4 engine C130 project current in the works, but I would not necessarily call it a big bird, but it won't fit in a LWB truck w/o a 3 piece wing.. vettdvr
Old 12-22-2002, 06:45 PM
MONSTERMANIAC
My Feedback: (10)

Default GIANT PLANES

SENT YOU AN E-MAIL WITH SOME INFO. TOO MUCH TO PUT HERE. BIG PLANES ARE ALOT OF FUN BUT COMMAND MORE CAUTION AND RESPECT. AS FAR AS WHAT PLANE IT'S GOING TO BE MOSTLY PERSONAL PREFERENCE AND TALK TO PEOPLE WHO FLY WHAT YOU ARE INTERESTED IN. GOOD LUCK. HOPE YOU FOUND THE INFO USEFUL. pirate:
Old 12-22-2002, 09:03 PM
Jim Gilbert

Thanks Jimcork1 and whirlybird man! I feel pretty confident I can put the plane where and when I want! I had my first solo on my third flight after many hours on the sim. I've had successful cross wind landings, harriers, inverted, immelmanns, split s. I can hover some up high, numerous dead sticks(not fun) I've never crashed (YET) I do fly by my self mostly! Would that be a problem tuning big engines? (rip off tail feathers) I restrain my bird with thick nylon rope and long screw driver. I thought a cork screw dog restraint would work if it wouldn't damage the plane no the big on the bigguns? I realize I probably should stick to the smaller planes until I get more experience but that's logical and I'm not good at baby steps. I want something I can get good on and that keeps me excited about improving! I don't really want something that takes two people then I would be dependent on others so I could fly and I'm very fortunant to be able to fly during the week when most people are working. I'm usually the only one at the airfield, me and my road dog "Harley"Anyway thanks for the help and advice! CJ
Old 12-23-2002, 04:03 AM
pmuscutt

East of you is Bruce Tharpe in Rogue River he has the Venture 60 that is an excellent 2nd plane.

Patrick
Old 12-26-2002, 08:42 AM
Jim Gilbert

Thanks for your help any more advice? Merry Christmas! Jim
Old 12-26-2002, 05:11 PM
rockmon

Hey crazyjimbo happy new year! It sounds like your flying skills are fine and it's natural to want to go bigger what is of more concern is the flying alone part. I used to have time to go during the day and was there alone also. If it be me I would not go over 1/4 scale with the first "big" plane when flying alone and even 1/4 scale can get away from you once in a while and a 1.60 or a 2.10 swinging an 18 to 20 inch prop can be a pretty freaky proposition. I learned all this $--t by going it alone and knock on wood nothing ever happened but I have seen some pretty harry stuff happen when there are plenty of people around to help so you know it can happen when your alone. Enough of the big brother crap just be careful with what ever you choose.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:16 PM
Jim Gilbert

Thanks Rockmon!