Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

What a good plane to get introduced to high speed?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

What a good plane to get introduced to high speed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 08:06 PM
samolot
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What a good plane to get introduced to high speed?

I needed something docile and stable in the air as well as fast, and the sonic showed all these charactersitics, therefore i think its fine
Old 05-09-2006, 08:57 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Higher speeds"

Fly at over 5,000 feet!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Abaco24

Hangar 9 Aresti with a Saito .82
Old 05-09-2006, 09:58 PM
crashland 73
My Feedback: (24)

I also vote for the Super Sportster with the .46fx or ax. Mine will scream and yet land good. You definatly have to keep track of where you are because you will be farther off than you think and it will be too late LOL! My friends property is beside my flight field and they have a lot of land and it was on the far end and that plane is small to start with, put that with being a long way off he he. I like it. I now want the 120 size one or whatever size that is in arf at tower.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Abaco24

Hangar 9 Aresti with a Saito .82
I have that setup. Not bad, but it's no real speed plane. Be aware that the Aresti has been known to have soft wood in the horizontal stab resulting in failure. I replaced mine with one made form solid 5/16" sheet. Also, it can be a real hand full if pushed too hard. Check post #24 in particular in this [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_765938/anchors_765938/mpage_1/key_Aresti/anchor/tm.htm#765938]thread.[/link]

I'll have to go along with Bob, the Viper makes an excellent first speed plane. Takeoff is a non issue. Easy to handle and lands nice and slow. Just be prepared for a long flat glide.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:23 AM
samolot

What if you put a big engine on a smaller plane? For example, i was thinking about putting a .80 4S on a .40 Sea bee, how bout it? The reason why im thinking about this is because i keep reading reviews and people mentioning how they put big engines on small planes and it flies like a rocket. What do you think?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Fastsky

Considering that a 72 4 stroke is about an equivent replacement for a 46 two stroke engine then going to an 80 size isn't that big of an increase. However sticking say a 90 size engine on a smaller and lighter plane can cause you all kinds of problems. The higher torque could cause the whole plane to flip upside down if you hit the throtttle suddenly. The higher speed could literally rip the wings off, not on a straight run maybe but when you start to do a turn and the wind starts pulling on the wing. Landings also could become a problem. The larger prop required may have so much pull even at idle the plane will want to keep cruising in level flight and not lose altitude (bben there, done that)!. This makes landing tricky and awkward. High speed runs can create aileron flutter unless you have push rods that are thick enough to remain stiff. Even if all that is sorted out, now you will need a larger fuel tank to maintain an average 10 minute flight. 46 size planes don't usually have room for a 14 oz. tank. [8D]
Old 05-10-2006, 02:50 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Abaco - the Aresti with a 50SX is not even really fast ...

I was informed that one fast plane that is stable would also be the WM Super Sport 30 with a 46 2C.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Rebellion

Guys, you really don't want to use any four stroke on a speed plane. The reason is that a four stroke doesn't take well to high rpm. The valve train just won't hold up to it. Fail to reduce the throttle in a dive and you're likely to have broken valve springs or bent or broken valves. Four strokes have their place but speed planes isn't one of them. If you want speed, stick to the two strokes. They handle the high rpm a lot better.

Not trying to be rude or anything, just a bit of friendly advice.

Dave
Old 05-10-2006, 10:16 PM
tIANci

Dave -a nice Jett? Hehehehe ...
Old 05-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Rebellion

ORIGINAL: tIANci

Dave -a nice Jett? Hehehehe ...
Can't beat 'em for boogie!
Old 05-10-2006, 10:56 PM
tIANci

Dave ... i am dying for one but the brain says ... USD300+ for a 50??!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 07:16 AM
j.duncker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a look at this. http://www.westonuk.co.uk/arflist.html

The Magnum R with WEST 50V1 and pipe is propably the fastest of the shelf artf you can buy.

It would be quick even on a OS46AX

Easy to launch fly and land, just don't let it get to far away.

This one is FAST FAAAAAAAAAAST.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:34 PM
tIANci

J - you flying one? I was about to ask a friend in UK to get me one.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:43 PM
FlyguyXII

the great planes shoestring with a .91 fx is fast. i had mine clocked the at 109mph into a 15-20mph head wind with a apc 12x8 prop on it. I also fly it with a 13x7 and it seems alot faster on that prop. Its rock solid in the air and is really easy to land once its slowed down. So fa its the best flying speed plane i have had. The airplane is also capable of snaps spin and lamcevaks (sp)
Old 05-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Rebellion

ORIGINAL: tIANci

Dave ... i am dying for one but the brain says ... USD300+ for a 50??!!!
How ya been man?

I bit the bullet and bought a SJ 50 a while back. The thing just screams. I have the black race muffler on it and broke it in with an APC pylon prop cut to 8x8.75. It turned around 19,600 with that prop after about 20 min. of running. It also idled down as low as 2,600 with that prop, but accelerated a bit better from a 2,800 rpm idle. Jeremy Ferguson ( aka [link=http://www.lgmguitars.com/splash_graphix.html]LGM Graphix[/link] ) is building a California Speed Pros QM40 Vendetta for me to put the thing on. Doing one of his nice custom paint jobs too.

Tianci, take a deep breath and go for it. Believe me, this engine is worth it. Can't beat Jett for support either. Or if you really wanna boogie, spend just a few bucks more and go for the 60LX.

Take care,
Dave

PS Sorry for the temporary hijack guys.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Reading thru here I seen Juno RC mentioned a few times ,they now have the 40 sized Tsunami, in kit form that cooks even with fixed gear.Its a very inexpensive kit and builds fast .But although it has blinding speed 100+ with a good BB 46 on the nose it will land as slow as most trainers.Very nice feature I might add. Good luck with whatever you go with .
Old 05-12-2006, 01:24 AM
tIANci

Dave - TQ! *deep breath*
Old 05-12-2006, 02:01 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: samolot

Hi all,

I was jsut wondering, will the MAgic ARF be able to teach me how to fly at higher speeds? I would like to build a patriot XL or get the F20 from sportsman aviation, but the descriptions kind of intimidate me. After a year of flying my GP Easysport, i was trying to get a nice cheap arf to quickly get back in the air, but i dont want anything trainer like. I flown low bottom wings before and i just want a good knock-around plane. Will the magic suffice or should i get the 3d twist?

Thanks guys

Samolot

-----------------

If you want a good transition plane to fly in between the Easy Sport 40 and the Tigershark F-20, the Tower Kaos .40 with a strong .53 size engine is the ticket. Cost is $100 on sale. It's easy to build, is much faster than the Easy Sport 40, but not as fast as the F-20 Tigershark, although I don't think the latter model would be too much for you, to be honest with you. That is, if you are comfortable flying your Easy Sport 40.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:16 AM
samolot

I am more than comfortable flying my easy sport (Inverted low pass over the runway). I was mentioned about the tower kaos from a few other people. RIght now, my club mates and a few people in this forum talked alot of the Super Sports. It is quick and i think it will be a good plane to transition. I never built a kit and this worries me. Will i be capable of building the Juno planes? If not, whats a good kit to build quickly to get into the spirit of jets?
Old 05-12-2006, 09:51 AM
NM2K

I am more than comfortable flying my easy sport (Inverted low pass over the runway). I was mentioned about the tower kaos from a few other people. RIght now, my club mates and a few people in this forum talked alot of the Super Sports. It is quick and i think it will be a good plane to transition. I never built a kit and this worries me. Will i be capable of building the Juno planes? If not, whats a good kit to build quickly to get into the spirit of jets?

---------------

The Super Sport is a good model.

Some of our club members used to buy the Super Sport 20 (kit) and then outfit it with a strong .46 two-stroke. That little rascal would boogie.

Of course, there is always the Mach Racer delta wing ARF sold by Hobby People. Put their 52 two-stroke on it and it should smoke too. Deltas are easy to land slowly.

Kits are not hard to build. If I can do it, you can do it too. No one will ever call me an excellent builder, but what I build flies well and doesn't look too bad. What will amaze you is that most times it takes longer to cover the model than it did to build it and carve/sand whatever parts needed it.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:40 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Building is part of this sport When I started, it was pretty much a required skill.

The Juno kits are very well prepared. The Tsunami is indeed a good choice - Id recommend that (as a speed transition) before recommending an ultrasport, kaos, or similar. And with that background, you can build the F-20 as well.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:50 PM
sigrun

On the other ohand, the Sea Bee from Phoenix MOdels looks very nice oo: Peopl say its fast and it andles much like a pttern plane/jet plane. This ought to be nice, any ideas?
Speed is relative to the perspective of the pilot (experience and ability).

Phoenix's Sea Bee is a most pleasant ship to fly, but it is a sportsman pattern plane with all the typical handling charateristics of the type. With a Schnuerled .46 turning a 10x7 up front, it slips along at a lively rate of knots at full throttle. Compared to your average low wing such as Kyosho's Calamato it's faster, but it is not a sports pylon model nor is it recommended until an R/C pilot is very comfortable and current with low wing types - and has some aerobatic competency - as it is neutrally (un)stable and responsive.

If you want a speed trainer designed to be stable point to point, either Model Tech's Sonic 500 ARF or Lanier's Predator II ARF are the go. Engine them according to your ability - how fast you want to go -. Both are point and shoot hoot 'n holler sports pylon models that'll bring a massive grin to your face.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:27 AM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Grab a Cermark F-16...fast and stable...flies great and is faster than a patriot, plus it's better looking.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34792.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	471473