Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 06:56 PM
littlebri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires

what size tires is everyone using? is there an advantage to using 40 series other then being able to run over anyone that gets in the way. i like the look of the big tires but do they cause things to break from the extra strain?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Chronic

Default RE: tires

As I'm sure you know, the "40 series" refers to the wheel size. Some of the 40 series tires aren't any taller than the equivalent maxx size tire. It's main function is to reduce sidewall height for better handling. When dealing with these heavy MT's though, a really short sidewall isn't always a good thing. The 40 series Pro-Line Bowtie is a good example. Nice tread, decent rubber compound, and they hook... but the short sidewall is mismatched to anything this heavy, in my opinion. The maxx size bowtie is the way to go if you want that tire for racing an MT. I wouldn't feel too confident bashing with 40 series bowties either. As for the larger 40 series tires, they are great.

I'm running the Team Losi Super King Pin tires on 40 series wheels. These tires are made for maxx size wheels but I've got them stretched over 40 series wheels to shorten the sidewall and reduce roll. They are about 6.375" tall so there is still plenty of sidewall. A little too tall for most peoples liking, but that's partially the reason I'm running them. I just ordered some Panther Pythons for my LST2. These are made for 3.8" Revo wheels but I'm mounting them on Losi 420 series dish wheels. Pretty much the same deal except the Pythons are a little shorter and they have a flatter tread surface. I might switch the Savage over to the Pythons if they work out on the local track.

If you are looking for a taller tire that fits the 40 series wheels, then take a look at the Team Losi ATX tires that come stock on the LST2. These tires are awesome... just awesome. They pretty much work perfectly everywhere except on a hard clay track.

The downsides? Yes, things break more. It takes more engine power to push them, and more braking power to stop them. It's extra unsprung weight which hinders handling and makes the truck feel "lazy". It looks cool though, and I prefer them over the little donuts that look like they belong on a stadium truck. I would slap some HPI Nubs on my Savage if it wouldn't make it look so bad. I know that's a silly attitude to have for racing, but I'm racing MTs for a reason. I want my MT to remain an MT in every sense. Things like swapping on little tires and running center diffs.....blaaah.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:21 PM
littlebri

cool, thanks for all the info. i don't plan on racing, just like to beat it up in the pits. like i said i like the look of the big wheels so if you or anyone else could recommend a good thire and wheel that hendles good, has good traction,and can support the weight i would apprechete it. as for breaking stuff, i guess thats half the fun
Old 06-03-2006, 05:58 AM
canucksrc

I have the NUBZ 17mm conversion with tires and the truck is much faster in all areas!!! It did look funny so I changed the body to the old style 25 and now looks great! If your just bashing I'd go with bigger tires.

P
Old 06-04-2006, 11:55 AM
veedub

is there 40 series wheels that you dont need the 23 mm hex adapter? i havent really figured out how the whole tire wheel thing works with rc yet. does any mt tire fit any mt wheel ? theres no measurements for anything
Old 06-04-2006, 01:04 PM
C Jar

ORIGINAL: veedub

is there 40 series wheels that you dont need the 23 mm hex adapter? i havent really figured out how the whole tire wheel thing works with rc yet. does any mt tire fit any mt wheel ? theres no measurements for anything
yes, i think they do. oh, and integy makes the 23mm hex for half the price, it comes in a package of four.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:23 PM
veedub

ah , sweet i want some of those weld racing pro line rims i guess ill sacrafice time and drive to the lhs and find out about tires i just think its odd that theres no tire sizes or anything but thank you for the advice
Old 06-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Chronic

Sure there is. The most common size for the MTs is referred to as Maxx size. These are like the wheels that come stock on the Savage. I can't remember if they are 3.2" or 3.4" in diameter, but close to that.

Then you have the 40 series wheels. These are Pro-line creations that have a 4" diameter. Team Losi is now using rims this size on the LST2, but they use a 20mm hex in theirs so they call them a 420 series. For comparison, the LST1 used a Maxx size wheel so go to the Team Losi website and check out the difference.

There are others too. The Revo uses a 3.8" wheel that is specific to that truck, and now the Tmaxx 2.5r and 3.3 also. CEN has a 55 series that are really tall. XTM has their "large" series. Imex makes their 44 series wheel now...

The two you most need to concern yourself with are the 40 series and the maxx size, because they are the most common. Some of the maxx size wheels can be used on the 40 series by stretching them or cutting the sidewall down, but not the other way around. Basically the smaller tires can usually be used on the bigger wheels with some modification. My maxx size SKPs are stretched over 40 series wheels. The Pythons I have on order are made for the 3.8" Revo wheels, but I'm mounting them on Losi 420 series.

The common hex sizes are 14mm(maxx size), 17mm, and 23mm. The bigger they are, the stronger they are and also there is less chance of a stripped out wheel. CEN uses a 19mm on a couple of their trucks too I think. 14mm is old school, and kind of weak for the weight and power level that these trucks are seeing nowadays.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:56 PM
C Jar

ORIGINAL: Chronic

The common hex sizes are 14mm(maxx size), 17mm, and 23mm. The bigger they are, the stronger they are and also there is less chance of a stripped out wheel. CEN uses a 19mm on a couple of their trucks too I think. 14mm is old school, and kind of weak for the weight and power level that these trucks are seeing nowadays.
what is the hex size on the 40 series that are not 23mm? oh, and will integy 23mm work?
Old 06-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Chronic

The 40 series wheels come in 14mm and 23mm hex sizes. I don't know anything about the Integy hex. Lots of people are always complaining about the quality of their products, but I have never owned anything from them. I'm running the Pro-Line 23mm hex on my Savage and they are fine. I can't remember where I got them, but they were like $30.