Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

bubbles with film over balsa sheet

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

bubbles with film over balsa sheet

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 02:31 AM
svond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bubbles with film over balsa sheet

I have a used 30% Edge (Aeroworks) that has bubbles in the Ultracote over the Foam/balsa sheet surfaces. Heat gun does not remove the bubbles. *****ing hole to let gas escape has no effect. Adhesive seems to be gone.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-24-2002, 03:49 AM
catalina

you could slice the bubble in 4 (cross like) and reglue it
Old 12-24-2002, 07:20 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stanvondrashek: Wow ! with that name you must be a good Irishman ! I would first try more heat, then you may very carefully peel back covering & use Balsa-rite, do this on bottom first,so it won`t be so bad if it don`t work. I nothing works you may need to recover. No real easy answer here. May be SANTA can help you. MERRY XMAS big max 1935
Old 12-24-2002, 12:55 PM
Giant Scale

Be very careful when applying more heat..you could easily melt the foam underneath the sheeting. The balsa will pull away from the foam leaving a soft spot. If you do this in enough spots the wing could fail. Unless the problem is all over the plane I wouldn't bother fixing it. Is it one large bubble or many small ones? If one large bubble ***** it with a pin and iron it down. If this doesn't work carefully cut it out and patch it. If many small bubbles I'd leave it alone or if really bothers you strip off the covering and recover.
Old 12-25-2002, 02:55 PM
svond

Thanks, guys
I hadn't thought of the heat > foam dissolve scenario. That would be a disaster.
The bubbles are 2-3 inches long and 1/4 inch wide....more like wrinkles... span-wise. I'd recover except the design is so neat with pearl white, red/white checkerboard rays and metallic dark blue trim, I'd like to save it. Did try peeling back a little film on the bottom, but it pretty much destroys the film. Guess I'll leave it alone.
Max- the name isn't quite Irish.. lol. Though the maternal half of me is. Pa came from Prague 1913 to Dickinson, ND.

Thx again and Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2002, 04:33 PM
ml3456

Are you aure its ultracoat?? Might be Monokote, which tends to bubble and stick a little more.
Old 12-25-2002, 05:21 PM
svond

ml3456:
Would you work on wrinkles/bubbles differently in Monokote versus Ultracote??

Thx
Old 12-25-2002, 07:29 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try slicing a small slot in the bubble with a SHARP X-acto blade, then heat with a gun and use the fleece monokote glove to rub it to the balsa while it is still hot/warm.