Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

80" cub big enough for here?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

80" cub big enough for here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 05:57 AM
rc.hackmaster
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80" cub big enough for here?

ok guys just got a 80" cub that was hidden in the back room of the local h shop. owner said he got for free and sold to me for 20 bucks (what a steal huh?). he said it should fly fine with a 40, i was thinking about robbing my 46fx off my stick and trying that. what do you think? any recomendations? i also have a saito 65, but thats in my cessna 182, think its gonna stay there. where should i set my cg? i have the cg machine so it wont be a problem but i just dont know where to set it, anybody have a general rule of thumb? any advice would be appreciated. btw i am not sure of the make. it is covered in fabric. i was thinking of doing the military sceme. anybody have any pics i could get to look at? sorry for all Q?. just need a little help. last q? 80"cub big enough for here? thanks,...doug
Old 12-24-2002, 06:40 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

80" works for here. Your 46FX will work fine in the plane. For your first flight with the plane, set the CG at 20-25%. My GP Cub likes the CG to be pretty far forward for stable flight. I have an ST45 in mine with a 76.5" span and am definitely not lacking for power.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:50 AM
rc.hackmaster

hey cool, help from a local guy even. thanks for the help. now would that bee 20 to 25% back from the leading edge? thanks.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:57 AM
Flyfalcons

Yeah 25% back from leading edge. As long as you're in front of the main spar you should be okay. I've flown my Cub where all the lead in the nose ended up back in the tail feathers and it was still controllable, but just barely.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:00 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

rc.hackmaster: If thats one of the Hanger 9 Cubs ? There should be a lot of people to help you, I never had one , but we better start some where, right? I would start at 1/3 rd the wing cord, probably close to spar. When they flew the 9 one in the magazine they used a Saito 56, so your .46 two stroke should be O.K. The hanger 9 one was covered in yellow fabric, if thats like yours you can probably paint it O.D. I think I would go back to shop for a little more info. At 80" that would make it IMAA legal. MERRY XMAS big max 1935
Old 12-24-2002, 07:13 AM
rc.hackmaster

this cub is covered in white. and i will call the guy and find out what make it is. IMAA legal? is there anything special i should know about large scale? b4 this cub, my biggest was my h9 cessna w/saito 65 4stroke, w/flaps added (big improvement) onboard glow, adding lights next. thanks, doug
Old 12-24-2002, 03:38 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

The 80" hanger 9 cub was precovered in yellow (what else) Ultracote (the 100" one was fabric covered).

I balanced mine on the spar (forgot what % that may be) and flew it for years.
The Goldberg and GP cubs were around 76" span. Sig had a 1/6 scale clipped wing, but it was even shorter. There was the old Berkeley kit and probably a dozen more that I missed......

you should borrow the 4 stroke and try it in the Cub.........
Old 12-24-2002, 10:56 PM
rc.hackmaster

ok, i have checked the wing span. it is 76". the guy at the shop said it was 80" so it might be a goldberg or gp. its still BIG, my biggest plane sofar. thanks for all the info guys. cant work on it till after christmas. merry christmas to all! doug
Old 12-24-2002, 11:11 PM
Flyfalcons

If it has 'barn door' style ailerons then it is a GP. Otherwise it is a Goldberg. Both are very nice planes, and I'd say you walked into a steal!
Old 12-25-2002, 02:58 AM
omawho-DISABLE
My Feedback: (1)

Default 76 inch Cub..

Oh yeah, you really did get a bargin. I had the GP kit covered with sig fabric. I painted it Olive Drab and put Stars & Bars on it. I put an OS 48 four stroke in it and inverted it. Used a cowl from Fiberglass Specialties. They make an extended one that already has the engine molded in. Thing flew absolutly GREAT...
Old 12-26-2002, 06:24 AM
rc.hackmaster

just qurious, what are barn door style ailerons? AND just got a web camera for christmas. and my son was so excited, he got a trainer(h9 easy 2) for christmas. soon ill have someone to go with me!
Old 12-26-2002, 07:19 AM
Flyfalcons

Barn door ailerons are scale-like, while strip ailerons are thin and nearly full-span, like the Easy2. The Goldberg plane has strip ailerons, GP has barn door.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:21 PM
rc.hackmaster

i think its a gp it has scale like ailerons. not full length. thanks for the info!