Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

New Top Flight Score ARF

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 12:52 AM
64stang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Top Flight Score ARF

Has anyone seen this new model yet..........the Top Flight Score ARF............I was looking around on the tower hobbies website ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLXB6&P=0 ) yesterday and ran accross it.............I honestly have to say that I like the looks of this model and that I might just have to buy one when they're not on backorder anymore!!! The description says that the model calls for a .40-.51 engine, but what would you put on it??? ANYONE???????
Old 04-12-2006, 05:51 PM
fox4evr

Default RE: New Top Flight Score ARF

I think I would be a middle of the road on this one. Probably a OS46 should do the job just fine.
Lee TGD
Old 04-13-2006, 08:19 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first choice would be the ST G51, a superlative stunt engine. Second choice would be an OS 46LA.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:38 PM
flyinryan
My Feedback: (1)

Thats sweet, that may have to be my next C/Liner!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:49 AM
64stang

Hey thanks for the info on the engines...................I do however have another question. It has been at least 6 years since I last flew my Cox Control line ( I had the Corsair w/ .049, and I still have an electric Bearcat)..............so would the TF Score be a good transition airplane or should I try something a little less agressive?
Old 04-18-2006, 06:51 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With control line, you set the level of "aggressive" at the handle. Well, if your handle has multiple line attachment points you do.

Simply connect your control lines closer to the middle and the model will respond more slowly. Also, add some extra nose weight and it'll also be less "aggressive".

The bigger models are usually easier to fly from the gitgo, so this one shouldn't be hard to handle. If you could fly an 049, you ought to be able to fly any of the bigger ones. You'll enjoy the solid feel that these big ones give with their pull on the handle.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:57 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, the pictures of the ARF show what could be dihedral. It could simply have a swept LE, but the TE in the picture also suggests dihedral. I wouldn't buy it without seeing it in the flesh... uh.... balsa.

If it does have dihedral, that suggests that the mfg really isn't up to speed on C/L design. There isn't any reason at all to have dihedral in a C/L model other than for scale models. And that ain't a scale model. This warrants further investigation.

OK.......... I just looked through their assembly manual, and the pictures in there don't show dihedral. whewww.... And it looks like a decent model in the pictures in that manual.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:14 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 64stang
Hey thanks for the info on the engines...................I do however have another question. It has been at least 6 years since I last flew my Cox Control line ( I had the Corsair w/ .049, and I still have an electric Bearcat)..............so would the TF Score be a good transition airplane or should I try something a little less agressive?
That depends on how much money you have to spend. Considering your level of experience and assuming you intend to learn the stunt pattern, you WILL wreck it...and probably several more. This type of ship is what you use after you have made the transition.

My suggestion would be to get a profile or two, such as the Flite Streak, and a LA .25 and learn the pattern first. There are also some RTF's from Brodak Mfg. A flyer usually PROGRESSES to a full-bodied, flapped stunter.

In addition to assembling the ARF, you need to know how to check for very minute warps, and to trim a CL stunt ship. Some very good stunt pilots take 50 or so flights to get it trimmed right. At least make sure it's straight (some ARFs get a slight warp during transit).

Other than that, both engine suggestions for that plane are fine.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just pointing out that you are taking a BIG step. It can be done.

Whatever you decide, if you can get some expert help at the field I would encourage you to do so.

George
Old 05-13-2006, 08:45 PM
sigrun

ORIGINAL: downunder
My first choice would be the ST G51, a superlative stunt engine. Second choice would be an OS 46LA.
I just spotted the TF Score today whilst looking for something else. Whilst understanding the need to test the market with the erstwhile Flite Streak and Nobler, full marks to TF in finally producing a C/L bird which kinda' hits the eye with more compromised aesthetics which should appeal to both the reminiscent traditionalists and those of us who want something which doesn't shout pure 50's nostalgia quite so loudly.

Provided it''s priced reasonably when it reaches local shores, I think this is the model which might entice me back to becoming an active C/L flyer again downunder. I'm also thinking ST G51 for grunt. Do you know if the current (Chinese origin ver) R/C G-51's port size, timing and number (conventional Schnuerle with an additional boost port) is the same as the C/L version?
Old 05-13-2006, 09:17 PM
downunder

[quote]ORIGINAL: sigrun
Do you know if the current (Chinese origin ver) R/C G-51's port size, timing and number (conventional Schnuerle with an additional boost port) is the same as the C/L version?
The Chinese made ST's are identical to the Italian made ones both in quality and specifications. As they should be because they're still owned by the Italians who ensure that the QC is kept up

The Chinese are making both the RC and CL versions so there'll still be the same difference in exhaust port timing. Apart from the carb/venturi (obviously ) this is the only difference between the two. I've measured my CL version at 70 degrees BBDC and, although I don't have the RC version, I've heard that it's exhaust opens at 74 degrees BBDC.

One or two guys over on SSW have used the RC version for stunt and they say it goes very well which rather surprised me. The only downside with the ST is that the muffler is far too heavy, I use a Bolly CF Super Muffler which saves 3 ounces but I'm not sure if Bolly makes them anymore. I might give him a call and ask about that.

BTW, if you check the specs on the Score you'll notice the wing loadings don't match the given flying weight. It isn't a big model so it certainly shouldn't weigh the 60-70 ounces they state.

Old 05-13-2006, 10:21 PM
sigrun

Thanks m8. Agree about the current ST OEM muffler. The old design supplied with the K series was so much better...but also so...o...o much noisier. I still have old ones on my S40K and S61K. The S40K (ABC with 9mm throat and GO timing) is about to get put back into service in a Sonic sport quickie 500.

I was thinking one of [link=http://www.macspro.com/onepiece.asp]these[/link] for the G-51, but it appears the G-51 isn't listed even under one size fits all via an adapter plate?

No rush for now. Will check out Just Engines later. They may have a cost effective solution if Bolly don't.

Old 05-20-2006, 10:58 AM
downunder

sigrun
If you're still thinking about the Score then there's a new thread just started on them over at SSW where a couple of guys have just received the kits and seem to be quite impressed by them. None have flown yet though. The ST G51 was mentioned a couple of times.
http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dcforu...ID1/19235.html
Old 05-20-2006, 03:58 PM
sigrun

Thanks downunder. Will alter heading to intercept the http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dcforu...ID1/19235.html radial.

Fingers crossed the SRP won't orbital when it eventually reaches local shores, but I'm that's probably being ultra-optimistic. I only wish we could get TF Flite Streak ARFs over here for similar to what they shop for in the U.S. I resurrected an O.S. MAX 20 C/L last week with the intention of putting in some reflex refresher time on the lines with a Flite Streak in prepraration for the transition back to something larger, more elaborate and expensive. But I find myself triaging my budget in favour of something needed or desired for R/C every time in subliminal protest. I think I'm just going to have to get the Flite Streak plan and discipline myself to scratch a couple or three together myself. Plenty of contest grade balsa sitting on my shelf here.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:58 PM
planeman50

The motor I'd choose is a Fox BB .40. Don't be scared to buy and fly. Excellent choice..