Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Budget Gas Engine Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 04:45 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Budget Gas Engine Choice?

I am working on two 80" span scratch built models, a Cap 232 and an Extra 260. Target weight for both is under 12lb with an OS160 for power. However, I have been considering a gas alternative for a number of reasons, low operating costs and easier smoke installation being the big ones. Problem with gas engines is the buy in cost is high (compared to the OS160 mentioned). What would make a good budget choice for gas power for this size/weight of a model? Performance will be biased towards IMAC style flying over wild 3D stuff. I am thinking that the Brillelli 40cc would be a good choice, adding about 1.25lb to the dry weight (offset by lower fuel weight), but having lots of power and being reasonably priced. Any comments on this engine or any others similarly priced?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Budget Gas Engine Choice?

Do it.

Put some servos in the tail to offset the added weight on the firewall. 80" span is the perfect size for your first gasser. Plenty of wing area. Big enough to see and present well in the air. Go for it. You'll never want to look at a glow engine again.

Have fun.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:20 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

Go for it. You'll never want to look at a glow engine again.
Now why would that be? Not being a jerk - I'm really curious about that thought. I know many of the giant scale people swear by gas engines and never do go back, but what's the big deal? I have no issues with glow engines, they run well (properly cared for), and do everything I have ever asked of them. The only thing is feeding the big ones, that gets expensive, and they are messy to clean up after...

Mark
Old 06-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Flyfalcons

Gas engines require very little tuning to adjust for temperature, humidity, etc. Gassers are also exceptionally clean compared with glow engines, and sip inexpensive fuel while being extremely reliable. Gassers also don't require any starting equipment - just turn the ignition on and fire it up. Fuel is also more available - there are a lot more gas stations than hobby shops, and plenty of places to get 2-cycle oil. I love my gassers and am trying to steer clear of glow when selecting new projects.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:45 PM
mmattockx

Fair enough, thanks for the input. That's pretty much my impression from what I have seen, but I have no buddies who fly gas and it is all just second hand impressions at this point. Not having to clean the glow fuel mess up will be worth the extra weight all on its own, I suspect.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-22-2006, 11:01 PM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the brillelli would be a great choice.. Its basically the cheap spe motor with the cheap looking ignition box. Which are basically mass produced motors.Brillelli takes a second look at them and makes sugnificant improvments, (better carb, ch ignition, polished, ect) and its only a few bucks more. I am about to get one myself. Let me know how it goes if you decide too!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Absolut Yak
My Feedback: (4)

What about the CRRC GF45i GAS ENGINE sold by Troy Built Models?
Old 06-23-2006, 08:39 AM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: djccrn

What about the CRRC GF45i GAS ENGINE sold by Troy Built Models?
That's what I want - some ideas and experiences. I will check this one out as well.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-23-2006, 10:39 AM
jsilvers
My Feedback: (219)

If you are thinking about the CRRC read the extensive posts on it.
I have one I purchased direct from the factory.
It barely ran when I received it. I had to replace the ignition module with a C&H Ignition among other things.

CRRC USA claims that if you purchase from them you will get an engine ready to fly.
I have not read of anyone who would agree with that.

My engine, after replacing the ignition and velocity stack and tearing it down and
cleaning black gunk from the crankcase, runs GREAT, but it ended up costing
about the same as buying a higher quality engine.

Joel Silverstein
Old 06-23-2006, 11:22 AM
thevirginian

mmattockx.
check also out www.bcmaengines.com. Those are supposed to be good engines and the service should be outstanding.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:27 AM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: thevirginian

mmattockx.
check also out www.bcmaengines.com. Those are supposed to be good engines and the service should be outstanding.
link doesn't work for me...

Mark
Old 06-23-2006, 01:34 PM
jsilvers
My Feedback: (219)

Try this link - www.bcmaengines.com
Old 06-23-2006, 02:53 PM
adrenalnjunky
My Feedback: (18)

The BCMA and the Brillelli are both the SPE40 block - and as was mentioned earlier, Brillelli takes it and balances the crank, includes a CH ignition, and some other minor tweaks for performance.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:16 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: adrenalnjunky

The BCMA and the Brillelli are both the SPE40 block - and as was mentioned earlier, Brillelli takes it and balances the crank, includes a CH ignition, and some other minor tweaks for performance.
I was just looking at the BCMA site and noticed that. The Brillelli seems to be the better value given the very similar price and the extras involved.

Mark
Old 06-23-2006, 03:30 PM
flymeaway
My Feedback: (6)

I am putting the Brillelli 46cc in a 27% Extra. It's not done so I can't speak for the performance of the engine. I can say that you will be very happy with dealing with Scott from Brillelli. Great customer service, very reasonably priced motors, and nothing but good things said about their motors swayed my decision. Even compared to converting your own engine, the cost of the Brillelli is very reasonable.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Flyfalcons

check the classifieds for some deals too, the Brison 3.2 is still a great airplane engine and you can find them on here for very reasonable prices.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:08 PM
taildragger21

We had a guy out at our field with the ccrc 45... TOTAL CHINESE JUNK!!!!! No quality, and its not even usable. As mentioned in an earlier post.....You may as well buy a da50 or somthing, cause you will have to dump 200-300$$ to even make the engine RUN!!!!!!! Seen this first hand.. I still think the Brillelli's seem like good deals and excellemt service from what I have read on here. I would think now would be the time toi buy them before the prices go up.. little over 300$ for a light 40cc with muffler and CH ignition?? Its hard to find that price used...
Old 06-23-2006, 04:23 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: taildragger21

We had a guy out at our field with the ccrc 45... TOTAL CHINESE JUNK!!!!! No quality, and its not even usable. As mentioned in an earlier post.....You may as well buy a da50 or somthing, cause you will have to dump 200-300$$ to even make the engine RUN!!!!!!! Seen this first hand.. I still think the Brillelli's seem like good deals and excellemt service from what I have read on here. I would think now would be the time toi buy them before the prices go up.. little over 300$ for a light 40cc with muffler and CH ignition?? Its hard to find that price used...
I have e-mailed Scot with some questions and got super quick replies. I have decided that the Brillelli 40cc will the engine of choice for this project and will carry on with it.

Thanks to all for the info and help,
Mark
Old 06-23-2006, 05:05 PM
taildragger21

Keep me informed!! I want one of those 40cc's!
Old 06-23-2006, 11:02 PM
TIGITRIGHT

Go and buy a Poulan Pro 295 reconditioned chainsaw from Big Lots.Pull out the engine w/carb.Go to wackerengines.com and buy the rail mounts.This engine mounts right on the rails without any mods.
Go to this link and make your own manifold,exhaust etc.(http://www.rcfaq.com/home.htm)Look for the link for wacker engines.It explains how too's and everything.You'll have more pride in your work and save,save,save money.If you want to spend some extra cash on that engine,sell the flywheel to your local lawn mower shop and get the rotor,prop hub,and ch ignition with synchro spark from Brillelli web site.[img][/img]
Old 06-24-2006, 04:08 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Had to jump in here. I love my gassers, but, one of the clubs I'm in that is very near my house, is more a 120 size field. Trees and such. I like the club and the other pilots, so I'm maintaining a couple smaller glow planes to fly at that club. I can still have fun doing my routene with these planes and once in a while, it is nice to just pull the plane out, fuel, and fly without all the assembly, as I can get my smaller bipes in the truck assembled. I think there is room for both in my basement and life.

I like the idea of the good second hand Brison 3.2, or maybe a FPE in the same size.
ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

Gas engines require very little tuning to adjust for temperature, humidity, etc. Gassers are also exceptionally clean compared with glow engines, and sip inexpensive fuel while being extremely reliable. Gassers also don't require any starting equipment - just turn the ignition on and fire it up. Fuel is also more available - there are a lot more gas stations than hobby shops, and plenty of places to get 2-cycle oil. I love my gassers and am trying to steer clear of glow when selecting new projects.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

I am flying the GSP Giles 202 with a Brillelli 25cc GT and these engines are great and you can't beat the price and the customer service. The 40cc sounds like a good choice. I'm looking to put the 40cc on something myself.