Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

World Models 27% Ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 05:10 AM
RustyTumbles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World Models 27% Ultimate

I am interested in this plane after seeing the 33% ultimate. I can't afford the 33% so I want to get the 27% instead. My drama is I only have a JR 2610 6 channel radio. Can I still set this bird up on 6 channels even though it has 4 aileron servos? Is it possible to use a single channel for all 4 ailerons? The reason being is that I'd like to have a remote kill switch for the engine! I was planning on using a DA50 and hitec 5645 on everything except throttle. Or possibly hitec 645MG on the ailerons, 5645 on elevator and rudder and a standard on throttle depending on my budget.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:47 AM
F2G-1
My Feedback: (13)

Go for it. You will be fine with a 6 channel radio. Just 'Y' each side to a channel. Heck, you could even 'y' each side, then 'y' the two 'y's' to a single chanel (this plane might be a tad big for that.) But for sure check with the servo manufacturer about signal loss/strength with different servo/extention/ reciever combinations for big planes. ie; futaba's PCM reciever with hitec digitals need buffered extentions and y's because the servo is used to 'hearing' a stronger signal than what the futaba puts out, and long extentions degrade the signal further yet, but futaba digitals can hear that signal just fine.

I went through all this setting my plane up w/ futaba pcm, 2 5925's on elevators, 5625's on everything else. I'm using a 6x.

I'm currently waiting for my brison to get here.
I cant even explain the case of the red ass I got over this! I ordered the 3.2 last tuesday, and i called them wondering where's my engine? Not even shipped yet. They are going to have it shipped from texas, THANKS. When I ordered it "Oh yeah its in stock - 2-4 days no problem!" Horsepuckey! My club big plane Fly In is this weekend and I'm going to be damn spectator. Fooey! It will probably show up friday and I'll have to pull an all nighter getting it installed and set up. Thats what i get for hawking all my other planes for this!

Everything is done but the engine box, wing fit, reciever install, motor install. All in all I'm really happy with the hardware supplied, its does the job and is definately not junk! This plane is time consuming to put together, and has its own quirks with some of the fit issues. If you take the covering off the bottom of the fuse, you will have an easier time doing EVERYTHING! I took mine off to fix a cracked former early on, and left the covering off till the end! - what a convienience! the pull pull system was a breeze when you dont have to do all that 'fishing'. The mods on the anti rotation pins and getting the wings to mate was also easier with the bottom exposed. It also is a good opportunity to lay more glue on some of the joints.

Ted

Old 06-02-2005, 09:22 AM
RustyTumbles

Cool, I might just leave out the kill switch and use the throttle servo to kill the engine. That way I can use 2 channels for the ailerons!! How does the 27% fly? I've seen the 33% fly as a club member has one, thats what got me interested!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 07:30 AM
F2G-1
My Feedback: (13)

Get on aeroworks website and check out the video.

Ted
Old 06-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should use a kill switch. It won't use any channels. A kill switch is required for IMAA and maybe the AMA also on gas engines.
Use the retract channel for your choke. That way you will have three ways to kill the engine if need be.
I always remove the idle stop and use a good servo on the throttle.
To kill the engine just pull the trim down, or use the switch and for emergencies, choke it off.

BTW my GP Pitts was ran off one channel with 4 servos, No problems.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:12 AM
RustyTumbles

thanks for the help!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:18 PM
Slyder

How many of you are still flying this plane? How many flights and how well has it held up. Still like it?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2005, 07:49 AM
torqmeister

I just started to build mine, with a Brison 3.2. I know there are at least 4 or 5 guys out there building this plane right now. I am interested in any recomendations anyone has on the build. Out of the box, it looks like a well designed plane. I plan to beef up the engine box like I do on all my planes. I know up front that its not a competitive scale entry, I bought it to fly. There are a lot of these planes out there. What are your comments on them, to help us new guys out? For example, the Jan issue of Fly RC shows it built to 14 lbs 10 oz with a Brison 3.2. What,s the AUW of yours. A plane that looks this good, & flies as well as I,ve heard it does, deserves an active thread. So let,s hear all about it.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:58 PM
Rosisco

[:-]Ok Guys this thread has had me wondering for some time now............HOW DO THESE AEROWORKS 27% Ultimates fly???????
I really think that Canada needs one. Christmas is comming and I have been very good. I haven't killed my Sukhoi yet, so the DA 50cc is still being used but, Santa could sure get me a spare airframe if they are good fliers Anyone have a video? other than the manufacturer.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:36 PM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

I have the 33% Ultimate with a ZDZ 80 and it flies just great. One of my flying buddies has the 27% with a DA 50 and he is very happy with his too. I think both the 27 and 33% Ultimates are a great buy.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:27 AM
rcflyin2
My Feedback: (2)

I am also building this 27% in the yellow scheme. Design changed as follows to date.
Bison 3.2 with mejzlik 21-10 prop carbon fiber
To start off with i had the same short cut f-49 pieces.I have re-made these with a band saw and have them epoxied in the plane. Looks like the add-in to tie the gear plate to the engine box is on the list. I will be enforcing the firewall with an extra layer of light ply and carbon fiber and Kevlar thread the box to keep it strong. And coat if with fuel-proofing as well as the lower wing to fuselage joints. I Will Also be adding a Sullivan skywriter to this and i know the oil from past gassers.
Looks Like my wings need the same finesse everyone has attested too. Also replacing all hinges to Robart Giant scale hinges.
And making the rudder a 2 Servo gang with a matchbox.
I am Perplexed on this part. I have my 112 oz coreless servos for this plane. The wing being so slim is 1/4 to shallow to fit the servo in the wing. Do I Build up some spacers and put blind nuts in to mount servo's too?

Thanks
Rcflyin2
www.twistedsites.com
Hosting you can afford
Old 01-31-2006, 07:29 PM
torqmeister

My arf came with spacers to glue to each end of the servo cutouts. These raised my servos to fit perfectly.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:09 AM
calibosss

I just finished my WM ultimate, going in I knew the hardware was trash so thats ok, I mean all the hardware, the screws the rods, control horns all crap. I found wing pins loose and one fell out. One of the re-enforcement rings was rattling around in the fuse and I was unable to re glue it in place. I had to glue the stab on instead of having it removable. I agree with the dude that said it looked as though it was never sanded, what a mess they did on the finish. However I understand it flies very nicely and will do it all,Providing you know how. I used the Taurus 52 engine. I modify the engine box a bit by shorting the front some, I dont recall the exact amount now sorry. A friend of mine has the areowerks and it is better quality, side by side his looks good mine looks o.k. so if you want a perfect plane build it yourself, If you want to fly one this year by the arf, simple as that. over all I like the plane and I cant wait to fly it. If I like it I will build a looker someday.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:57 AM
torqmeister

I know it's been a while, how does your Ultimate fly? I am ready to put mine back on the bench to finish it. Should have it flying in about a month.
ORIGINAL: calibosss

I just finished my WM ultimate, going in I knew the hardware was trash so thats ok, I mean all the hardware, the screws the rods, control horns all crap. I found wing pins loose and one fell out. One of the re-enforcement rings was rattling around in the fuse and I was unable to re glue it in place. I had to glue the stab on instead of having it removable. I agree with the dude that said it looked as though it was never sanded, what a mess they did on the finish. However I understand it flies very nicely and will do it all,Providing you know how. I used the Taurus 52 engine. I modify the engine box a bit by shorting the front some, I dont recall the exact amount now sorry. A friend of mine has the areowerks and it is better quality, side by side his looks good mine looks o.k. so if you want a perfect plane build it yourself, If you want to fly one this year by the arf, simple as that. over all I like the plane and I cant wait to fly it. If I like it I will build a looker someday.