Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Problems with Flatouts

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Problems with Flatouts

I received mine for $20.00,,,,,, 5 for $100.00,,,,,, that told me right there, but I decided to spend the $20.00, well I just went through and repaired this thing for the 4th and final time, its all back together and ready to go again, I cut off the landing gear and used the wheel pants for a ski type landing gear, I mounted the 2 goodyear pants upside down right on the Fuse under the nose on both sides just in front of the wing so it would protect the aileron servo and the wing. I gave it a quick test this morning before work and the skis worked great, No DAMAGE on landing, I was freakin amazed, however my servo arms can't seem to stay centered and again in my little test my ailerons were stuck to the right again, but with full left rudder and full left aileron I was able to shut down the motor and skid her on to the lawn safely, I walked in the door and epoxied the servo arms to the center position on the servos. I'll test this out tonight now.

And what Glue do you use on foam that is quick, I've been using Zappo foam safe and it took me a full week to put that 2-3 hour plane together, It may have been quicker if the glue would ever dry before you can move on. I have been a Kit builder for 35 years and I have built wooden kits like the Carl Goldberg Eagle in one long night, with a little determination. just to name one of them. this foam thing is terrible for building, the whole reason I bought it was for the quick build and the convenience of Back yard flying.

Maybe tonight will finally be its first real success, as I strengthened her up and got rid of the rip your wings off landing gear.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:28 PM
repomann76

i used great planes foam safe Ca and used accelerator that is the only way to glue these things
Old 06-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Yeah foam-safe zap and accel. is the way to go... I honestly hate these Flatouts though! I have had several of them (Gifts usually) and they are VERY fragile- the hardware is innovative but I will take a Shockflyer and some packing tape WAY before I will mess with another flatout!

I have used extra CF to attempt to stiffen the airframe with some success but unless I catch it in a hover, it breaks somewhere, EVERY time I touch the ground--- And my landings are usually very soft-

I personally am going to move up to the next size/stiffness and try that--- Foamie Factory Yak maybe--?

Cheers!
Old 06-19-2006, 11:13 PM
jpjamie

Now that's funny!
My LHS sold me one for THAT price...ROFL!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:21 AM
repomann76

yeah i think the hobby shop's figured out fast after they sold a few and/or built a few that these planes are BS.so they started scrambling to get the shelves cleared of them before they become vintage junk...lol
Old 06-20-2006, 12:56 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Oops I already answered this one above---

Please delete
Old 06-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Okay thanks for the glue advice kids, I never tried accelerator on anything before, so I didn't even think of it, all my models are wood, and put together with medium zap and 5 minute epoxy, never had a problem with those and always dries plenty fast enough for speed building.

Update:::: The skid type landing wheel pants skis has saved my plane twice now on the landing, its working, it just might be the winning combo for me and the cap 580, the epoxy seemed to work on the servo arms but I only got one flight in last night with about a half a battery charge, then while I was re charging the pack, the big ol high wind lightning storm moved in until after dark, so I won't get a chance to try her again until tomorrow night, but things are looking up finally for me with this Electric Flatout, I will never buy another, but it seems to be working great now. Just 3 landings, 3 ripped up wings later, I finally have an electric.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:57 AM
Waldopepperaxel

UPDATE::: I have now had over 10 to 12 flights with this cap and not 1 extra repair, Use the wheel pants for a skid landing gear right on the center of the fuse one on the left and one on the right in front of the wing servo, I have landed everytime in the grass even one time in the cornfield, and no rips or tears, she is finally working, just had to get rid of that landing gear.. I clipped the landing gear right at the bottom of the wing.

I still won't ever buy another, so I'll fly this until I trash it. any reccomended Props on the 22m 1000 motor