Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Engine choice - Nieuport 28

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Engine choice - Nieuport 28

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 11:16 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine choice - Nieuport 28

Hi Everybody,
I'm trying to decide about engines for a Balsa USA Nieuport 28.I've narrowed the choice down to the Zenoah G23 (the recommended engine) and the GCBM 25cc (Homelite conversion). Both engines are similar in size, the GCBM has a bit more power, but is 12 oz. heavier (it's also cheaper, but price is NOT the prime consideration here)
My thinking is that the extra weight of the GCBM would add some of the nose weight that is almost sure to be required in a short-nosed aircraft like the Nieuport. Any comments, ideas?
thanks,
papermache
Old 01-04-2003, 02:59 PM
catspaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could call Balsa USA and ask. They have a G23 in theirs. I'm going to put a G23 in mine if I ever get going on it again (working on 4th wing panel).

If it were up to me, I'd stay with the lighter G23, since 12oz is a lot, and you can still adjust the location of the battery pack and radio gear.
Heck, I'm gonna put a RAM machine gun sound in mine, I gotta find room for the board, batteries, and the speaker, and make sure everything balances.

John
Old 01-04-2003, 03:16 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You might want to go with the new Zenoah G-26. I understand that it's a little stronger.

Ken
Old 01-10-2003, 01:24 PM
CharlieG

Gents,

I'm putting a Saito 150 in mine - only because I bought the engine several years ago for another project and never used it. I anticipate having to add significant nose weight to get the thing to balance. The G23 should be a nice choice. I have one in my Balsa USA 1/4-scale Cub and it works great.

BTW ... have any of you guys built the fuse yet? I'm noticing several inconsistencies in the instructions, and now I'm begining to believe that some of the top formers around the cabane blocks may have been cut / labled incorrectly.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:32 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all for the input.

In reply to Charlie about the fuse, BUSA notified me after I bought the kit, that former F-3A was not correct , F-3B formers were missing a notch and the firewall was an inch too short. A phone call had the correct parts on the way shortly.

papermache
Old 01-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been flying my BUSA Nieuport 28 with a Kioritz 23cc engine which is on the heavy side for a chainsaw conversion. I also made a custom exhaust for it out of a lawnmover muffler which is also kind of heavy. The plane ended up balancing exactly where it's supposed to and it flies great. If you're interested, you can click on the gallery button below to see a couple more pics of my Nieuport.

I found the problem with F3 and it was pretty easy to fix. On the short firewall I just epoxied a strip of hardwood to make up the difference.

I wouldn't be too worried about the extra weight of the Homelite conversion, you might need it anyway.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	46244_5716.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	27945  
Old 01-10-2003, 06:01 PM
CharlieG

pm,

Thanks for the info. I received some of these corrections in the kit, but not all.

Happy Trails,
Charlie
Old 01-10-2003, 06:24 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

Default GCBM 25cc

Many of these WWI kits by BUSA are being flown with my 25cc conversion with a 20 X 6 prop. You WILL need that extra 12 oz. of weight, guaranteed, maybe even more with the extremely short nose moment.
Regards,
Mike at GCBM R/C Inc.