Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

anyone with rb concepts 728 motor? need help

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

anyone with rb concepts 728 motor? need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Bobby33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone with rb concepts 728 motor? need help

i am having problems with tuning. i have changed the pipe, put on metal clutch shoes. i have a robinson racing 52/14.. seems too slow for the price of the motor..
Old 09-21-2006, 12:24 AM
slurpster

Default RE: anyone with rb concepts 728 motor? need help

your gearing seems kinda low. i'm running 19/47 on mine.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:31 PM
sjp1311

I have the 728 with 3speed, but also had the 2 speed in it.

Whats the condition on the 728, the ratio seems a little low, I run 18/49, its tight but I still can wheelie, and its god awful fast.

Do you have the pull start or roto backplate?

let me know and I'll help ya from my experiences

Steve
Old 09-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Bobby33

i have the pull start and running byron 20%.. the motor is winding out really high and also i have the 3 speed
and also the motor is boggy then all of a sudden the power comes on but like i said before the motor really winds out..

thanks for the suggestions, i will try changing the gearing... i will try the 48/16 next
Old 09-21-2006, 10:37 PM
youie

I have this engine and if you read the manual it should be run on 25% fuel. Its definately not setup right as this engine was spawned by the devil himself. I have 18t/47t setup 3speed box and I have to control the trigger when I launch it as it assumes wheelies are its god given rights. When tuned right you will not settle for anything less than an RB. If you dont have the manual contact Rb and ask them for one. In the mean time I'll see if I can find a link that has the manual.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:03 PM
sjp1311

mine did this, the boggy thing. try leaning the low speed a hair. Gearing I think you are still way low, put the largest clutch bell you have on there and START from there. I have been happy with the 49/18, I have considered taller yet, I dodn't want to loose the wheelie demon feature either.

The low needle seems to be fishy, I had to learn the hard way, by taking the motor apart, and looking at the inside of the bearings, I run odonell 30 and I see hardly any smoke out the pipe, until I looked in the crankcase, and saw plenty of oil sitting, so I leaned a hair more and all of the sudden she came alive and won't calm back down.

LMK
Old 09-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Bobby33

thanks for the suggestions, i changed the gearing and what a big difference. i was getting really frustrated with this motor and about ready to put it on the shelf to collect dust.
once again thanks for your suggestions. Just one last question, what kind of pipe are you using for this motor?
Old 09-23-2006, 03:37 PM
sjp1311

I run the stock pipe with mine, I have thought about upgrading, but I haven't had the time to run it much this summer.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:21 PM
youie

I use the Rb concept pipe works great and sounds great. Not at home at the moment when I do get home tomorrow I will make a note of the model number for you and I'll post reply back.