Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Best brands/models of workshop power tools

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Best brands/models of workshop power tools

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best brands/models of workshop power tools

I'd appreciate if you could suggest the best brands/models of the following workshop power tools:

Band saw
Belt/disk sander combo
Drill press
Mini/micro table saw
Scroll saw
Mini jig saw
Bench grinder
Mini lathe

Or of any other power tool you may deem highly desirable.

Thank you in advance.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best brands/models of workshop power tools

I have a Ryobi scroll saw that is almost 6 years old and still going strong. The only problem is the diaphram for blowing the air away from the saw cut recently cracked and I can not find a replacement. I already tried repairing it with a silicone cement - no go.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:32 PM
rcmiket

My Band Saw, Drill Press and Belt Sander are all Ryobi. They run great and are built well. Home Depot runs specials all the time.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:42 PM
pilot727

Hey guy's
I have a small apartment i do my repairs in, do they make a really small band saw or craftsmans tools that are small enough to use in an apartment, i have a long table i bought at sams club i use to work on my planes and it is six feet long, i seen a ban say in sears and it looked small but by the time i got it , it was so big i had to give it away just to get it out of my apartment, if there is a smaller make of these tools please do let me know, rollie
Old 09-20-2006, 07:08 PM
RVM

Microlux makes some really good, small stuff. Do a search for them on RCU or Google.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Laird SS

I have a Delta 1" belt sander with a disk sander on the side. It's all cast iron construction. Yes, it's heavy, but it doesn't move around at all. Cost about $100. Don't remember if I got it at Lowe's or Home Depot. They also make an aluminum version, but it isn't as rigid. Price was about the same as I recall.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:19 AM
pilot727

RVM
I did check them out and thanks, they do have everything that a guy could ever want for home use, thanks, rollie
Old 09-21-2006, 12:36 AM
RVM

Too bad it is a wee bit on the expensive side. At least, for me it is anyway.

ORIGINAL: pilot727

RVM
I did check them out and thanks, they do have everything that a guy could ever want for home use, thanks, rollie
Old 09-21-2006, 12:46 AM
pilot727

ya i noticed that also the prices on most of the equipment there are over my head to, i just wanted something nice but not top quality, i think that most guys here would like many things that are availible there but guess i will just have to use the hole i drill through my table to drill out my props larger, it works ok. At sams club they have many different style tables and tv trays that all are made out of that laminated stuff, it is strong and folds up, i use the tv tray for my tool box, they have four foot tables to six foot tables and they are strong and very cheap for the quality, check them out for those whom do not have a shop, but at least my planes are here at home and i can now work on them here, im single so i leave mine set up but for those that are married the table folds up in less then a few minutes and you can store them anywhere, rollie
Old 09-23-2006, 11:03 PM
john_s3
My Feedback: (1)

The Bad Saw Would Be A 10" Rikon It Is The Little Brother Of The 14"
Mini Lathe Is The Rikon Again Because It Has A 12" Throw Compared To 10" With The Others And The Speed Is Easer To Change.
Scroll saw Is The Dewalt 788 Because Of The Way You Lift The Blade Up From The Bottom Instead Of Removing The Blade From The Top.
Mini/micro table saw I Have A Proxxon Saw With A 100 Tooth Blade,Great Tool
Beware Of Delta There Has Been A Big Shake Up There.
Please Stay Away From Sears Tools Because Most Of The Time You Are Locked In To What Sears Sells Band Saw Blades Are A Good Example.
I Don't Have Any Preference For The Others.
Other Tools That Are A Must Are A Big Dremel Kit With 90 Deg. And Flex Adapter.They Go Fairy Cheap.They Have A New Digital One That Is Great.The 542 Is Better Then A Cut Off Wheel That GP Has.I Also Have A Cord Less One That Is Handy.
Check Out Any Local Wood Working Club Some Times There Are Folks Up Grading And Looking To Get Rid Of The Older Stuff And They Can Be A Bargain.
Good Luck
Old 09-24-2006, 01:42 AM
RVM

Speaking of Proxxon, how does Microlux compare?